Chapter 6: Skippers

Lillian

The next morning I wake up with a pounding headache in Darian's guest bedroom. He probably carried me while I was passed out. My hands grip the sheets tightly as I think about all that happened yesterday.

I thought that finding my mate would be the most romantic thing in the world. I would meet a random guy on the streets and we would instantly click, knowing we were mates. From there we would get to know each other and eventually fall in love, like normal mates. Have a happy ever after, but that's not going to happen now.

My life is in danger from this point forward. More than likely, Ace already knows that I'm his mate and he's is going to come after me. After all, I bet he would love to be stronger, plus his wolf isn't going to be satisfied till... we mate.

A shiver runs down my spine. Okay, that's enough of that for now. I get up from the bed and pick out some clothes that I keep here just for emergencies then head to the bathroom to take a peaceful shower.

I turn the water to a fair temperature then hop in, taking my time. After about ten minutes I get out of the shower and put my clothes on, my mind still feeling a bit fuzzy. My wolf is getting anxious by the second, wanting her mate, but also feeling the confusion I'm feeling.

"Goddamnit," I whisper, placing my hands on the countertop as I look in the mirror. My face looks like shit, yesterday's makeup is smeared everywhere and my tears are red from me crying in my sleep. A groan escapes my mouth as I throw my head back, feeling hopeless.

A small glimmer catches my eye from above the mirror and out of curiosity I get on my tippy toes and grab it, flinching as soon as I do so. The item falls onto the counter and I look at my hand, seeing it bleed. What the fuck? I look at what fell down and see it's a razor.

Damian... I bite my lip as tears brim my eyes. I thought he was doing alright, but maybe not so much. Have I not been a good enough friend?

I grab the razor and hold it in my hand, slowly enclosing it. The least I can do is get rid of this thing, I shove it in my pants pocket and exit the bathroom. Maybe I'm being too selfish in this situation, I need to be there for Darian as much as he is here for me. He's staying by me even though my destined lover killed his parents, which takes a lot of courage.

As I head to the kitchen, I see Darian sitting on his couch drinking a cup of coffee. He turns towards me and offers a small smile, "Want some coffee?" he asks softly, getting up. I shrug, not really knowing what I want at this point. "I'll make some cocoa then," he walks over to his small kitchen and begins to make me a small cup of chocolate jo.

Once he finishes, we both walk over to the couch and take a seat, I take small sips of my drink, feeling it burn my tongue. "SInce it's already eight, do you want to just stay here and not go to school?" Darian asks, taking large gulps of his coffee.

My eyes glance over at the clock and sure as hell he is right. Well, there is no point in me going since I wouldn't be productive all day. Who knows, the alpha may know that Ace found his mate and is searching around the school for the person acting most suspicious. That'd be even better, being the government's toy.

"Sounds good," I say, leaning back on the couch, getting relaxed. I don't really want to do anything today, but it'd probably be better for me mentally if I did. "Want to go for a run?" I ask, my fingernail tapping against the glass mug. My wolf is eager to get out, but she respects me enough not to go looking for our godforsaken mate.

Darian grins, "Sounds perfect, let me go get our bags then we can go our way," he hops up and runs to his room. He's not having a great time right now either, this will be better for both of us. I'm kind of worried the wrong person will see us, just anybody is the wrong person. The guards would drag us back to school and we would get in a lot of trouble. The alpha would be fuming and punish us dearly. Possibly Ace, if he escapes then I'm done for.

He could've escaped then and there, but he didn't, why? I saw him break the cell door as if were nothing and throw the general's limp body out.

My thoughts are cut off by a bag being tossed into my lap, "You ready?" Darian asks, placing his bag over his should. I nod, placing the mug down and standing up. We head outside and shift into our wolves, mine being a mid-tone of brown and Darian's is a light tan.

'Where to?' Darian asks me as we begin walking away from his house.

It takes me a moment to think, then like a light bulb, I remember the perfect place. 'Let's go to the cliff,' I reply, starting to run. This place is beautiful and very few of us know about it so it's fairly safe. The only thing is that it's just a little past the pack's border, but rogues often don't like getting too close to my pack.

Trees pass by me as my paws hit the ground, every so often I would have to hop over a log blocking my path. The fresh air running through my fur feels amazing. I haven't done this for so long because I've been so busy trying to grow up. Getting a job was nice, at first, but now I'm just all the time. It's not worth the little amounts of money I'm making. I might as well enjoy this little bit of freedom while I can because I don't know when Ace is going to take it away.

Within an hour we are right inside the border by a river. I hop inside and Damien is close behind me. We swim under the river till we get to the other side, which is also the other side of the border. This covers up most of our scents, so if some did happen to smell us, they'll know that we went outside of the border and they won't follow us.

Another five minutes run and we are almost to the cliff, but we stop at the sound of screaming. 'Lillian, we should head back,' Darian says, concerned about what's going on.

If someone needs help I'm not going to just let them die if I can do something. 'Darian, stay back,' I say, my wolf leading me forward, closer to the dangerous sound. He tries to mindlink me back, but I block him out, more focused on what I'm doing right now.

My heart races as I get closer, my wolf getting excited. I grit my teeth, having a bad feeling of just who may be ahead in these woods. I take a quick look back, making sure that Darian isn't following me. Thankfully he's not, maybe he has the same idea of what's going on.

The smell of peppermint overwhelms my nose and butterflies fuck with my stomach. Just for this reason, I officially hate butterflies. I stop in place when I can see what's happening through tiny holes between the tree leaves. My ears perk up, listening carefully to the situation.

"P-please don't kill me," a small female voice begs, I look and see that she's laying on the ground, curled up in a small ball. I hold my breath, averting my gaze to my mate who seemed distracted. If I can smell him, then he can probably smell me, fuck.

I miss skipping school ;-;