Chapter 7: Run

Warning: Self Harm

Everything is still as if the world wasn't moving. The wind stopped, not an animal scurrying in sight, the only thing I can see is the girl dry heaving on the forest floor. My body is stiff, trying not to make any movement that could trigger Ace into running after me.

Fuck Lillian, you already know he's not as stupid as you, he already knows your nearby.

I have to get away at some point, but he may just be waiting for me to move. Argh, I don't know what to do! I can't mindlink Darian because he's too far away so that's definitely out of the question.

Ace's head shifts in my direction and he lets out a loud growl. Without thinking, I turn around and dash away from him and away from the cliff. I'm not getting myself cornered like an idiot and I can almost guarantee that Darian is over there.

Trees flash by me as I attempt to figure out my game plan. If I run past the border and someone manages to see Ace chasing me then they will know we are mates and no way in hell I'm letting that happen- I immediately change directions, taking a harsh turn to the left so I avoid the border.

My ears perk up to someone running close behind me, a shiver runs down my spine and I notice that he's catching up fast. Holly hell I feel like I'm going to die- my mind flashes back to the bathroom when I found Darian's razor. Maybe, if I leave a misleading trail of blood and cover up my wound, he'll follow it and not me for a bit. But I have no time to take out the razor, if I stop at all then he would catch me no problem-

I feel my body get tackled down to the forest floor with enough force to make my head spin for a moment and my vision blurs. My eyes go wide as I turn my head back to look at the large black wolf hovering over me. His eyes stare down at me with a bit of excitement. 'Why hello there, my little mate,' he mind links me, giving me a sadistic smile. 

The realization hits me quickly and I begin to struggle underneath him, I cannot get caught now. One more day, one more hour, I'll take anything, just not now. 'Well aren't you feisty,' he snickers, 'I like that.' 

Okay, too far you sick fucker.

I open my jaw and clamp it down on my left leg, ripping it open with my teeth. Blood spills everywhere and Ace growls, 'What the fu-' I cut him off by spitting a good portion of blood in his face. That should fuck up his nose until he can find some water to get rid of it.

Within a second, I slide out from under the shocked Ace and take a second chance at running, this time is a bit slower because of my wound. He quickly takes off after me, but I'm just one step ahead of him. I jump into the river that borders my pack and begin swimming as far deep as I can go. There are about two more minutes of air before I pass out and I hope it's enough to get away from him.

There's no telling if he will jump in after me, but this is the best I got. Just keep swimming, I keep telling my wolf, knowing that she is a bit distressed we just left our mate. We can sort out our feelings later, but let's do it while I'm still able to.

Time passes by slowly as I can feel my lungs get tight and my head gets more and dizzier. It's not time to give up, just a little longer- I gasp for breath, but instead, inhale water and my vision go black as I feel my body go limp. 

"Wake up!" I hear someone scream as my abdominal area is pushed down with enough force to lift my wake off the ground. A whole lot of water pukes up from my lungs and I struggle to take breaths as my body flails around. "Oh my fucking god," Darian says, hugging my naked body tightly, "I thought you weren't going to wake up," he says, petting my hair gently.

I close my eyes, trying to focus on what just happened with my pounding headache. "Ace," I manage to breathe out before puking up some more water. Darian pats my back as I'm on my hands and knees trying to get the rest of the water out of my system.

Once I feel like I got most of the water back, I sit on some grass and have my head in my hands. "Did you see Ace?" Darian asks, probably just to clarify. I slowly nod, not believing what just happened. "Fuck!" he shouts, punching a nearby tree, "he escaped from prison." I continue to nod, feeling some dread. "How did you manage to get away from him?" he asks with a bit of disbelief.

Yeah, I can hardly believe it myself. I got to escape the infamous murderer who has never let a victim live. This is a different situation though, me being his unfortunate mate and all. "He tackled me and I ripped my arm open," I lift up my right arm and show Darian the large, bleeding gash that he didn't seem to notice. His eyes go wide and he grabs hand, taking a closer look as I continue, "Then I spit my blood in his face so he wouldn't be able to track me and I jumped in the river and somehow ended up here," I say, wondering how long it's been.

"Holy shit, you little savage," Darian gently smiles, reaching into his bag. He pulls out a small medical kit and proceeds to clean and wrap up my arm. "So what do we do now?" he asks, tying off the bandage.

What do we do now? I can't run forever, but I also can't act like the victim in this situation. I have to be as strong as possible, for me and Darian. "Let's just go find someone who can cover my scent,"  I say as Darian finishes tying up my bandage. I take his shirt out of his bag, having no idea where the hell mine went. 

"Alright, I know somebody," he says, getting dressed. The shirt only reached right below my hoochie, but it's okay as long as nobody sees me. "But let's get back to my place to get a quick change of clothes," he refers to my half-naked body. 

I agree with him and we begin a thirty-minute walk back. I must've been floating down the river for a long time for me to get this far inside my pack's territory. Once we get to his house we both notice that his back door is wide open and bodies can be seen walking around through the windows.

'Darian, we should probably just go straight to whoever's house that is you mentioned,' I mind link him, not feeling safe being here.

He takes a bit to respond, obviously distaste on his face. 'Those are guards, in my fucking house,' he says, sounding like he's about to bite someone's head off. I place my hand on his shoulder and motion him away, we have enough shit to deal with this past day, we shouldn't be making any more issues.