Author's Note

Just two days left to wrap-up his service year and get his NYSC certificate, Emeka exits the village for safety reasons. He won't risk his life because of a sheet of paper.

His unexpected departure raises dust in his homestead and in the school where he worked. His landlord wants him back, just as the school teachers, his colleagues and students. Emeka has unfinished business in Gwarzo, but will he return? 

------

This story tends to look into the challenges people face when necessities of life take them to distant places. It questions people's commitment to their partners when not around them. 

The National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) programme is one which sometimes take people to distant places. Usually for a year, married and engaged people, as well as lovebird, face numerous challenges during the programme. 

Many find love in places they never expect. A few lose their fiancee to faceless people. Others bring back babies from orientation camp lovers. Yet, some enjoy monetary and 'human' allowances in their places of primary assignments and still return to meet their loved ones. 

The possibilities are many.

Enjoy reading the Teacher's Exit and please remember to leave your comments and votes. 

Ranking for this Story:

#2 in Farmers: January 2020.

#7 in Abuja, Kano and Ghana : January 2020.