Chapter 1

An unusual occurrence took place in Gwarzo village in Kano on Valentine's Day 2015. Emeka Anyawu, an alpha male school teacher, stamped through cow dungs and jumped over the fence while fleeing the village in the wee hours of the morning.

Having just completed his mandatory youth service programme in Laraba Community School, he was left with two important events: to fetch his recommendation letter from the school's vice-principal later in the day – which incidentally was Valentine's. And then to receive his NYSC certificate during the passing-out parade scheduled for the following day.

The burly six-footer would then be free to say goodbye to Gwarzo and its people, after which he would head to Abuja to hunt for a job. Emeka had his final days well planned out, but the unexpected turn of recent events in his homestead brought about a shift in plan. He hopped across the fence to avoid playing poker with his life.

Gasping for breath, Emeka limped along the clayey untarred road leading to the taxi park. His crumpled clothes, stained bags and rancid feet passed him for the prey of a Bengal tiger, but the troubled man was merely facing the consequences of his own misdeeds.

Out there in the open, early morning fogs floated freely, as the brightness of dawn slowly spread through the terrain. Absent in the distance was the sun, forecasted to hit thirty-eight degrees by midday. Wandering roosters pinched their noses to avoid Emeka's stench. A few villagers walked along the open paths.

Checking his wristwatch which blinked 6:16 am, Emeka's lips quivered for fear of being seen to be running away from Pa Abubakar's compound – his landlord of almost a year. The local people might take him for a bandit or worse, and the consequences of being termed such could be dire.

Heavy on Emeka's mind was the befuddling issue that made him flee a village whose residents showed him love. His host, Pa Abubakar, welcomed him well and made his stay comfortable. Not once did he experience an unfortunate encounter. And the man's daughters were warm in every sense.

Leaving the place unannounced portrayed him as an ingrate, a recollection that turned his face sour. Why did he have to leave the compound bidding no one goodbye? Emeka ruminated, plodding along the footpath.

"What is that on your leg?" A schoolgirl carrying a bucket pointed at Emeka's foot.

"Err...never mind." He checked his clothes until he spotted cattle dung on the lower end of his trousers and on his shoes.

The girl eyed Emeka from the corner of her eyes. Where could the popular teacher be coming from this early morning? Did he spend last night with one of his numerous student girlfriends? "There's a tap at the T-junction over there." She pointed forward, some few yards away.

Emeka zoomed in on his right foot, glancing around to be sure no familiar face approached. Early risers trekked along the paths, heading to their farms. That he looked shabby was the least of his worries. "Do you know me?"

"Yes. I see you in our school teaching senior students Maths. I'm a junior secondary three student."

"Get me water, please."

"Okay, sir."

She rushed to the tap while he stood by the roadside rubbing his chin, thinking of making a phone call to Pa Abubakar – to thank him for his hospitality. The man certainly deserved better, even if his wife was two-faced.

"Here, sir." The girl returned with the water bucket.

"Thank you."

Emeka took off his shoes, washed his socks and parts of his trouser, using soap from his bag. The girl assisted with pouring water.