Chapter 4

Valentine's Day 2015, the vice-principal of Laraba Community School in Gwarzo, Kano, drove out of her semi-detached two-storey building in the company of her colleague, Mrs Gambo, at three hours past noon. Each lady wore a sleeveless multi-coloured knee-length flowery dress and transparent hijabs. They had their eyes set on a visit to Emeka Anyawu, the corper they believed would soon be returning to Abuja after completing his service year.

Having scooped from the grapevine that Emeka invited schoolgirls home, the ladies wanted a taste of the extra-curricular activities. Such a good-looking young man wouldn't flout the school rules and go away unpunished. The appropriate reprimand, in this case, was to make sure he spent some quality time with them—a worthy price for overlooking mature women in preference for mere teenagers.

The love season made it the right reason to lay their claims. That Emeka would no longer show up at the school after today made the decision an easy one. Should he decline, he must be ready to answer questions during his passing-out parade. His NYSC certificate might even be seized. That's beside the poor recommendation letter they'll send to him.

"This weather is good – not cold, not hot." The VP grabbed the steering wheel of the white Toyota Camry sedan as they swerved onto the highway.

"We agreed to leave at half-past one," Mrs Gambo rolled her eyes. "But I had to wait for two hours."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I woke up late and tired."

"You're over-sleeping on a day like this when everyone is rushing to meet their lovers? Emeka will think we've changed our minds."

"No way! We must be there."

At the rear passenger seat of the car lounged Emeka's unfilled recommendation letter. The VP sighted it through the rear-view mirror. "I don't mind handing over the letter to him, so that he can write whatever he likes. He really worked hard and the students liked him." She peered at her colleague, keeping an eye on the road. "What do you think?"

"Not a bad idea, but he has to work for it. Good ratings don't come cheap."

"Of course, he must do his part and he must do it well. Nothing goes for nothing."

Emeka's teaching style worked on the students. Never before had a corp-member sent to Laraba showed such tireless drive. Indeed, everyone in the school attested to his ingenuity. News of his impact spread beyond the school.

"He was just advertising his skills all over the place—skills that didn't get to important people in the school." Mrs Gambo scowled, adjusting her hijab.

"Yes, his energy didn't go round. He should have searched properly for those who really needed that kind of attention."

"Since he's strong enough to handle two at a time, he shouldn't have a problem with super-girls like us."

The VP chortled. "Super-girls?"

"Of course!"

"That's true. After all, I'm only fifty-six and still very romantic!"

Mrs Gambo laughed.

"Do you have his number?"

"Number?" Mrs Gambo raised her brows and waved in the air. "No, he didn't give me his number. That's what I've been telling you all these days. The guy is unusual. I tried all tricks in the books. I came to school on a Saturday, threatened him, spoke to him softly, but he won't give me face."

"You came to school on a Saturday?"

"Yes, of course." Mrs Gambo leans forward. "When Mama Sanusi tipped me off that Emeka walked side by side with a schoolgirl, I left my niece and rushed down to school all because I wanted to catch the bastard in the act."