Chapter 7

On Valentine's day, pretty much against the run of play, Emeka showed up at Binta's house early morning, looking ruffled. The impending ugly events at Pa Abubakar's compound made visiting Binta appealing and necessary. Having left his landlord's place two-days before schedule, the only person he believed would host him well was Binta, who'd shown countless times that she wanted him around.

Thanking her stars for bringing him there at last, the joyous lady went all out to show him all he'd been missing by declining her invites. First off, she visited the mall to shop for food items, home décor materials and wines of all types. It was time to show off the skills she learnt in the past seven months.

Binta changed her curtains, filling her living room with ornaments. The yippy lady cooked for Emeka, making sure he ate and drank to satisfaction. The energy she brought into those activities announced to Emeka that the Val's day was strictly for romance.

He didn't disappoint.

Binta kept Emeka indoors for twenty-four hours, unapologetically so. He had to pay for the lack of attention she'd received from men over the years.

"The guy is a machine," she told Sureya in the bathroom, keeping Emeka out of earshot. "There was no style we didn't try out. We even somersaulted."

"Yee! I hope you'll keep him for life?"

"I wish so, too. Let me enjoy this visit first. The future will sort itself."

Morning of the third day, she dropped him off at the bus station, after which she returned home to rue his departure. Here she was seated on the bed with mixed feelings, nursing a slight headache courtesy of the rigorous exercise she brought upon herself these past few days. But no niggling pain would override the lovely time they spent together, the mere thought of which lightened her face with a grin.

Details of Emeka's visit flashed signs of a sustainable relationship. The manner he lifted her off the ground like she was feather weight; the seriousness he accorded massaging her back and the profound compliments he passed about her cooking skills all pointed to his undying love.

Binta picked up her phone again. "If Emeka is truly committed to Nkechi, why did he spend Valentine's Day with me?" she queried as though quarrelling. The entire time Emeka spent with her, not once did he call his so-called girlfriend. Even in the staffroom, he didn't contact her daily. She used to peep into his phone to find his girlfriend's unanswered calls. Besides, his involvement with multiple schoolgirls in Laraba showed that he wasn't loyal to the lady.

From all indications, Emeka's attitude towards the Lagos lady didn't match his words. Smitten men take pride in discussing their women. Perhaps the lady lacked good qualities he desired in a lady, otherwise, he shouldn't be shy to mentions her to everyone or to call her in people's presence.

She, Binta, could win Emeka over if she could work harder. Already he had a foretaste of her hospitality – her ability to arrest a man indoors without fastening a rope around his neck. She would only need to sustain the tempo by keeping in touch with him in Abuja. A gale of hope gushed through Binta's mind as she fancied herself replacing Emeka's faceless Lagos babe.

It suddenly came to fore that Kano wasn't a stone's throw from Abuja. A distance of several hundreds of miles could prove a serious challenge should Emeka dare to switch allegiance. She needed him to be around anyway; otherwise, what would the point be?

Come to think of it, relocating to Abuja shouldn't be a problem. If she could leave Kaduna for Kano to pick this job some few years back, what would stop her from relocating to Abuja? Schools over there offered better salaries than those around here.

But before then Emeka must prove that he needed her around him. His commitment must be unflinching, definitely not the brand he offered Nkechi.

The prospect of relocating to Abuja brightened Binta's face. She reclined on the bed's headrest, crossing her legs. "I'll flush Nkechi aside in one week," she boasted aloud with a guffaw. "If Emeka could spend Valentine's Day with me, I'm the one he truly loves. He just might not realise how much yet."

Certainly, Nkechi, even if unknown, lacked the necessary skills to keep a hunk. Such a slacking lady couldn't vie for Emeka's love. Binta picked her phone and dialled Sureya: "He promised to come around whenever I invite him to Kano."

"Hey! Your hard work paid off, uh?"

For half an hour, Binta highlighted the previous day's event, following which Sureya hailed her friend's opportunism. "I'm sure he'll come back if you keep in touch."

"Sure, I have his numbers and social media details."

"Go for it, girl."

After Binta dropped the call, she searched Emeka's profiles on Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, WhatsApp, and SnapChat, amid other social media platforms. Wherever his name popped up, she sent a friend request.

Beaming with smiles, she glanced around to appreciate the beautiful draperies by the bedside; the red lamps by the wall corners and the special trays she used to serve him dinner, all in an effort to impress the man she thought could be hers.

Eventually, her eyes fell on the two wall frames which had the statements:

"Love is all you need" "Don't throw my passion away."

After reading from the frames, words emerged from Binta's mouth. "I spent a hundred thousand naira on Valentine's Day just to please a man? Haba!" She shook her head, got off the bed and paced around the room.

Those expenses mustn't be throw down the drain. She must now act up and begin to work towards bringing Emeka back. Only then would she be able to confirm that he truly loved her.

Ideas began to juggle for attention in her mind. Inviting him here, paying all expenses? What about embarking on a weekend Abuja trip? Will he welcome her to his house, even if for two days?

Binta picked up her phone again, but this time she started submitting her CV to recruitment agencies that would link her up with teaching jobs in Abuja. Life in Gwarzo would never be the same again without this man. Where would she find guys that could match Emeka's qualities?

The love-struck lady composed a text – the longest she ever sent to anyone.

Emeka,

As I type this, the emotions in me run deep. I plead with you: don't mistake my words for a jest. Never before has a man swept me off my feet as you did. Not once did I lose composure for a son of Adam.

Do tell me where from you emerged? For years, I searched around for a person of your type. Years rolled by when I loafed around in vain quests. Something about you feels so special, I must say. That's the reason I'm here in hot pursuit.

Every minute you spent in our school was beneficial. More importantly, every second you spent in my room was glorious. I wish I'd known you years ago. I wish you ruled my world before your exit. But my heart, I know, still longs after you. Do not let my desire burn in vain.

I'm writing so you'll know that the time we spent together wasn't for fun. Rolling between the sheets with you wasn't a pastime. The feelings you stirred in my heart is hard to push away. The fire of the passion you unearthed burns fiercely. I hope you feel it deeply as I do.

I recall you mentioned someone awaits you in Lagos. I understand clearly that I didn't meet you a single guy. If there's a chance that we can still be together again, please open your doors of affection for me. Let me stay in the heart of a man I truly care for.

Life in Gwarzo will never be the same again. The sweet times spent with you will always be forever. The Valentine's Day togetherness was the best for me so far, and I know it was because I spent it with a man I truly love.

This is me expressing how much you mean to me. This is me pouring my heart to the man who'd blown me away the first day I set my eyes on him. Keep the flame of love burning, dear Emeka. Things aren't the same again with me as they were before you arrived in my world.

Binta Kano

***