Author Spotlight: @MbekoSifolo

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what words wouldn't you use?

Energetic, morning-person 

Think back to when you were in school. What was your favourite subject? 

Biology

When you were a young 'un, what did you want to be when you grew up? 

Among many (many) things, for a long time I wanted to be an astronomer.

What does Tevun-Krus mean to you?

A community to meet other enthusiasts of Sci-Fi across the Wattpad platform.

Tell us about your reading/writing habits. If you're not a writer, then simply the former will suffice!

I struggle a bit with forming a routine, so I read and write when I can.

As your crew casts your lifeless body into the heart of the nearest star, list three pieces of music likely to be rattling the bulkheads of your beloved vessel!

Baninzi - The Soil

I found - Amber Run

Empara mi - Wanderlust

Who is your all-time favourite  author? How much, if at all, has their work influenced your writing style?

Octavia Butler. I've always loved and been inspired by how active and capable her protagonists are. Her stories were also my first glimpse into the wonderful world of Afrofuturism.

Of everything you've written, which piece is your favourite?

Songs of Home

Pitch the above story to us. Make us really want to read it!

Well, it won a contest on Wattpad that one time, haha. It's a short story about a people lost in space, who find a glimmer of hope.

To what extent does the mythical 'real life' influence your writing?

Very much so. I think having an intimate understanding of the 'real world', its rules and systems, helps when trying to challenge or subvert it, and trying to imagine a better one.

If you could have any superpower, what would that be and why?

Telekinesis. I've always been interested in it. If life is all about the senses, then having telekinesis would be like having a sixth sense. A whole other dimension of being. I think that would be pretty interesting.

What would you do if you woke up one day and suddenly realized you were an alien from another world?

Hop on my spaceship quick as I can and tell my other alien friends all about the folly of these earthlings. Maybe that really is my mission, it would explain why I'm so obsessed with storytelling. Haha.

The Technological Singularity presents a rather daunting, some say inevitable, future. Does the prospect of that level of artificial intelligence excite you, or leave you quaking in your space boots?

I, for one, welcome our robot overlords. Haha, kidding. Though it is hard to imagine a utopian AI future because of our current approach and ideation towards it. After all, much like all else in this world, Artificial Intelligence research is profit driven. And those who care about profit tend to care less so about people.

Who was your first Sci-Fi crush? Who is your current one?

Captain Holly Short from the Artemis Fowl book series.

If you could experience the world of any Sci-Fi story on Wattpad, which would that be and why? 

"By Any Magical Means Necessary" by decolonialblack.

While it is a dystopic future, I'm interested in the melding of magic and sci fi and how they intersect with the internal politics of the world.

And finally, any words of wisdom to new and aspiring Sci-Fi writers?

Do not treat the first draft like the final draft. I know it seems obvious, but I'd often get discouraged because the words I was putting on the page weren't sounding as good as they did in my head. The first draft is just the bare-bone essentials. You will improve it with multiple rewrites, just keep writing.