@WilliamJJackson's Dat Ubuntu Nothing Drag - A Review by @elveloy

dat ubuntu nothing drag by WilliamJJackson

I first read this story in LayethTheSmackDown's MergePunk sci-fi anthology, where the challenge was to write a short story, combining two different sub-genres of sci-fi. WilliamJJackson was given #Afrofuturism and #Acidpunk. 

This was my first experience of #Afrofuturism. Perhaps I should explain that I am a white Australian so it was all alien to me, in more ways than one! 

Set in a future version of America, after The Big Break, The Stillness, or National No Gun Day, dat ubuntu nothing drag begins as a story told to young Challie by his mentor Old Suh. About the old days before thinking would turn things real, before the end of War, the government and most white folks. Then we follow Challie on his search to become a "Righter," to know what "right' was supposed to be and do, in this new world.

Studded with mind twisting images such as smiling cow udders and the sound of visible light crunching under your feet, this story is a celebration of power without force, the strategy of non-violent direct action. And books.

This is such a unique story I found it difficult to write a review to do it justice, but the bottom line is, I loved it.

---

Check out the external link or the link in the comments to read the reviewed story!