Rise of the Solar Stories

Last month we asked you to write a SolarPunk short, comment-sized story based on the image below.

We only had one submission. This one's from MadMikeMarsbergen:

Quarl had travelled across the planet seeking some semblance of peace. Being a machine, the humans hadn't made it easy for him to do so. These were troubling times, with factions warring amongst each other on both sides, and it was dangerous for anyone—let alone a machine—to walk alone at night.

But here he was. Scratched-up, covered in mud, more dings than he thought could be buffed out of his chassis. All in one piece, though, which counted for something.

The sun was strong today. Quarl pushed through a canopy of leaves and emerged at the edge of a mountaintop.

Peace was in sight.

Eden. The floating megacity of gears, said to be the beacon of enlightened thinking and societal innovation, a place where men and machine could exist in harmony. Sitting above the clouds, the megacity featured vine-covered walls leading up to each district. The highest district, New Canaan, was shrouded with the tallest trees ever grown, each of them well over ten thousand years old.

Eden was a place of great wisdom.

Replenished by the view, Quarl set out down the mountain. Eden would provide him with the ultimate teachings.