Chapter 8 - There's nobody here but us

I woke up feeling a little bit disorientated, I looked over at my phone and checked my social networks, it was a natural habit of mine and realised it was already 10 o clock, we needed to get up.
"Zoeeeee stay in bed with me don't go"
I really didn't want to get out of bed and it seemed like Alfie wanted me here and I think we deserved some time together after how hard we'd been working to get the house ready.
We were in bed for about another hour lying in the drowsy warmth of each other's arms, around half an hour ago we'd pulled the covers up around ourselves and continued making out in our bed.
"Oh Zoe I meant to tell you, I have to go out in a bit and go somewhere, I won't be back until late tonight so feel free to do anything you want until then". It seemed strange that Alfie hadn't told me about this before and I was curious but maybe he'd just forgotten to inform me before then so I just left it alone and went back to sleep.

ALFIE'S POV
I couldn't tell Zoe what I was about to do, it was supposed to be a secret. I was travelling to Zoe's parents house and Joe was going to be there as well so I could have a word with them. I'd known for a while now that Zoe was all I was sure about in my life and I couldn't live without her, so I was going to ask her family for the permission to marry her.
*a few hours later in Zoe's family home*
"So Alfie why are you here" Zoe's dad looked confused as to why I was here without Zoe.
"Has something happened to Zoe is she alright please tell me she isn't hurt" Zoe's mum was always worried about Zoe which was sweet.
"No don't worry about Zoe she's fine actually I wanted to talk to you about something I've wanted for a while now".
Zoe's mum, dad and Joe all looked at me suspiciously and I looked at my feet not wanting to make eye contact.
"I want to marry Zoe and I wanted to ask your permission before I asked her" I said without breathing and then looked away again.
Zoe's mum started tearing up and Zoe's dad had a slight pinched look on his face
"Alfie don't you think you're rushing in to this you've only been together a little bit more than a year" Zoe's dad said with a stone cold expression.
I couldn't believe it what was I supposed to do now, I never thought Graham would say no to me we've never had problems with each other before.
"Please let me marry Zoe she's the one thing I want in my life" I pleaded with him but he wouldn't change his mind.
"Just go Alfie maybe we can discuss this again in the future if you haven't changed your mind".
I stormed out and closed the front door behind me as I walked to the train station and waited for my train. It finally came and it didn't take that long to get back to Brighton, when I saw Zoe's face and how happy she was to see me I couldn't take it any more, I rushed off saying I needed to get something and I broke down, how was I supposed to be with my dream girl when I couldn't spend the rest of my life with her and her dad had a problem with me even though I didn't know why.
"Alfie? What's wrong please talk to me, have I upset you" uh oh Zoe heard me and wanted to talk...