Chapter 3

ᘀ Annie ᗽ

You can't imagine the confusion I had when I woke up in the house its walls made of gingerbread. William was locked up in a simple cage suspended by a rope and sleeping soundly. When I looked down at my hands they were also tied up. I looked around. I was in some sort of living room. There was a strong smell of licorice and... chocolate.

As I continued looking around I saw two things-one of which was what I was looking for a knife. I leaned through the bars and grabbed the knife with my teeth and started savagely hacking at the rope the knife held firmly in my teeth.

No luck. It seemed to be able to withstand anything.

The other object was a simple mirror, plainly embroidered and while the mirror itself didn't attract my attention, the thing inside it did.

It was a very ugly, plump green witch with a monstrously large nose covered in lumps. Her eyes were plain light gray with a hazy look, a sign of blindness. Her hair was long and greasy filth, upon her shoulder rested a large black crow.

"Seems kinda familiar", I thought, as a cackle drew me from my daze.

"Hehehe! Tasty childs for dinner yum, tasty childs. I will spice them up." the witch said.

It was a very strained, scratchy voice. like nails on a chalkboard.

"I haven't eaten children in such a long time, Herbert." the witch continued, speaking to the bird. "Not since Hansel and Gretel."

The witch continued with her work, muttering, inaudible things. Suddenly William began to stir.

"William, stay quiet!" I said in a harsh whisper.

"Why? We're safe and I'm with you," he answered, half-awake and oblivious to everything around him.

"Oh, you're such a boy. Did you happen to realize that you're bound and in a cage?" I spat back, angrily, not hearing him completely

Why are boys so half-witted all the time, I wondered.

"Oh, yeah that's sorta my fault," he mumbled, embarrassed.

"Did you notice that this house is made of candy?" I said not listening. "I mean of all the houses we get the one made of candy and inhabited by a witch."

"Well, maybe this one isn't " he replied wistfully.

I was seriously about to punch him in the face.

"You're locked up!" I said, barely controlling myself.

"Yea, good point. Sorry," he replied, meekly.

There was a noise from the kitchen and then the voice.

"I hear voices! Is my little cuppycakes awake?" the voice said. "I've got a special surprise for you!"

I turned to William and mouthed, "She might be blind", he nodded, looking much happier.

Suddenly a bush just outside rustled loudly and a young boy and a girl silently darted into the woods. Turning back to William I saw the confusion on his face as he gave a questioning look. I shook my head, showing I didn't know who they were, his face darkened. I could tell he was concerned.

"Hello darling!" the witch said, startling me, she was a perfect match to the witch in the mirror.

"Aah, getaway!" I spat.

"Oh dear, why can't you be nice and quiet like your boy toy over their hum dearest?" she growled back.

Just as I was about to respond to the window shattered and the kids from earlier burst into the room. The boy kept upon the witch tackling her to the ground as the girl pulled an orient key from her pocket, swiftly she unlocked our cages pulling us from them and ushering us to the window.