Fifteen

"Do you want to go out with us?" Taehyung asks.

"No," Jungkook says. "I need to practice a little more."

Taehyung nods, looking him up and down sadly. "Don't overdo it," he says. "Please."

"I won't," Jungkook promises, giving him a small smile.

Taehyung lingers, eyes flicking nervously over Jungkook, before he nods and walks away, shutting the door to the training room behind him.

Alone, Jungkook takes a deep breath, sighing.

He doesn't need more practice. After the episode, after realizing that his power functioned as his anchor to his body when he was stressed and that all he needed to do was keep it there, within his body where it belonged, his powers had settled on their own. Sparring matches helped him get a feel for the new, almost unnatural strength and speed, but that was all he was doing-- adjusting.

If they were going to make him leave, it wouldn't be long.

So Jungkook leaned down, planted his hands on the ground, and kicked up into a handstand, taking a deep breath and enjoying the pulse of his powers as he stayed there, waiting for the moment when his body would give out.

Did he want Taehyung?

The question kept coming back to bother him. When he entered the White Butterfly, he had been half-afraid of Taehyung, clinging to him only because there was no other way for him to find comfort. Now, when he doesn't need the comfort and shows no signs of a relapse, he has no reason to follow Taehyung around.

But... maybe it doesn't look that way to Taehyung, he thinks, remembering the conversations from the last time they went out. It's been almost a week, and they haven't addressed his blatant lie. Taehyung still comes in to check on him, occasionally, but for the most part he keeps his distance now, joining the group for meals and activities but making no other attempts to communicate with Jungkook.

Jungkook sighs, tipping back and grunting as his feet hit the floor. He lowers himself slowly, painstakingly, scowling at the ceiling. Should he have said he would go with Taehyung? Perhaps Taehyung meant to talk to him about it.

Maybe he's not gone yet. Maybe Jungkook can still catch up to him.

No, he thinks, sitting up. He can hold a handstand for much longer than it takes to reach the motorcycles. Taehyung is long gone.

But maybe Jungkook can still find him, if only on foot.

Jungkook leans back and lunges to his feet, letting out a pleased hum as his body moves smoothly off the floor. He jogs to the door and pulls it open, pausing to tug at his t-shirt before deciding it will be enough. It's windy outside, but Taehyung and the others have probably left to visit Mina again. He can catch up, and then they'll be inside.

The guards don't try to stop him when he leaves, though he's barefoot and clearly not clad for the weather. He wonders if they've been instructed to leave him alone, but the biting wind outside takes away all questions.

The market. They always head through the market.

But when Jungkook reaches the street where the market should be, it's empty. He pushes on, frustration rising when he realizes just how far away Mina's shop is, but he's started, and he's not about to stop.

He'll catch up. Even if it means he arrives at Mina's shop winded and whimpering.

He speeds up, power rushing through his veins as his body responds to his desire. Faster, faster, faster, until the world flies by like it did on the motorcycle, landmarks passing out of the corners of his eyes until he's sure he's found the right street. He slows, then stops, looking around, and recognizes the building.