Eighteen

Taehyung doesn't return to the room for days. Jungkook doesn't address it, but Jimin tells him anyway-- the corpse was someone Taehyung knew and taught, and Taehyung has locked himself in the surveillance room to try and track down the hunter who did it. Jungkook doesn't know what to do, so he doesn't do anything-- just lets Jimin treat him and goes back to training, fighting to increase the amount of time he can spend under the influence of his powers.

He knows, for safety's sake, that the men won't let him stay under for very long. But he still finds ways to test that, hiding under beds and around corners while his power thrums in his veins, waiting to stop using it until the white begins to creep into his head.

Slowly, the time increases. And slowly, the other men of White Butterfly begin to realize what Jungkook is doing.

They don't like it.

Namjoon is the first to confront him, catching him on his way out of the room with a roll and a request to talk. They wander to the training room together, Jungkook holding the roll and staring at it in confusion. He hasn't forgotten to eat, has he? When he traces his memory back, he can remember meals, but he doesn't know if any of them were with the other men. The thought makes him flush with shame.

He has to do better.

"Jungkook," Namjoon says, stopping in the doorway as Jungkook shoulders the door open. "You know your body needs to rest, right?"
Oh. "Yes," Jungkook says, looking down at the roll. "I'm sorry."

"I know you've been stressed," Namjoon says, "But you need to rest right now, not push your body further. You've been doing really well already."

Jungkook nods, but he can't believe Namjoon. Between the nightmares and Taehyung's seclusion, it doesn't just feel like a relapse-- it feels like he might never be able to recover again.

One month. One month with these men and he's still not in control, still not able to handle himself.

"I'll rest later," Jungkook says, forcing a smile.

Namjoon sighs. "Alright."

Next, Seokjin. Jungkook asks for a sparring match and gets a lecture instead, something about taking proper care of his body and not using his powers to prop himself up all the time. Jungkook takes a nap and goes back to training alone.

Jimin hauls him back to the bedroom and ties Jungkook up in a burrito of blankets. Jungkook deals with the enforced sleep, if only to avoid tearing the blankets, then goes right back to it, finding new places to hide and push his limits.

Yoongi is harder. He follows Jungkook's thoughts down to wherever he is and just sits there, watching, until he decides it's bedtime. It takes Jungkook awhile to shake him off.

Five weeks.

That's when Taehyung catches on.

Jungkook doesn't know who tells him. He doesn't even know Taehyung knows until the man appears in front of him while he's hiding under the stairs, grabbing his arm and yanking him out of his shelter.

"Stop that," he says, shaking Jungkook's shoulder. "Stop pushing yourself like this!"

"I'm fine," Jungkook protests, yanking himself out of Taehyung's grasp. "What the hell's your problem? I thought you were busy?"

Taehyung swallows, looking down. "I was," he says. "Namjoon reminded me there was someone more important out here."

Stunned, Jungkook feels the words he had prepared to defend himself with slip away, leaving him exposed and unsure. Important? Him? But even his father walked away from him. Or maybe Taehyung is talking about someone else? But then...

Taehyung reaches out, taking Jungkook's arm more gently this time. "Please," he says. "Let go of your powers for a little while. You need to rest."

"I did rest," Jungkook says. There's no fight in his voice.

"You need to rest without your powers holding you up," Taehyung says, drawing closer. "Please, Jungkook. You could kill yourself, relying on them like this."

Jungkook takes a deep breath, shivering. "I don't want to let go," he mumbles.

"Neither did I," Taehyung says. "And I know I'm a hypocrite, but please. Your powers drain your body. Haven't you noticed how long it's taking you to recover? You're not eating right because your body thinks it can feed on your power, while your power feeds on your body."

"I--"

"It will kill you," Taehyung presses. "Please, bunny. Let go."

Jungkook swallows, looking down at his arm in Taehyung's grip. Taehyung gives it a soft squeeze, reaching out and taking the other arm with his free hand.

"I got you," he says. "You're safe here."

Jungkook takes a deep breath, closes his eyes, and lets his powers drain away. His legs give out immediately. Taehyung steps in, letting go of his arms and holding Jungkook around the waist as Jungkook rests his head on his shoulder, waiting for the room to stop spinning.

"Thank you," Taehyung says. His voice is strained, close to breaking. Jungkook wonders if he's trying not to cry, but he doesn't have the energy to lift his head. Taehyung lifts him without hesitation, facing the stairs above them with a groan that sounds half-teasing.

"Here we go."