Part 1 - Chapter 9

Sayuri is opening the cupboard, pulling out jewelry boxes to be wrapped in a large cloth. Daharu suddenly hugged her from behind. His chin rested on his wife's shoulder.

"What the hell? I'm busy," Sayuri grumbled.

"I thought of Mina ..."

The earring, which Sayuri was holding, fell from her hand.

Daharu's hand stroked Sayuri's belly, "If this wasn't a lie ... I want a girl again."

Sayuri gritted her teeth, "just ask the bitches you slept with. You know, I can't give it after you pushed and hit me on the ship five years ago. We lost our third child, and my womb has been damaged."

Daharu tightened his arms, "I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry. That was the biggest regret of my life. I didn't know that you were pregnant at that time."

"It's not entirely your fault. You're going crazy because I tried to poison you, and I hidden my four month pregnancy myself. I'm the fool for obeying my aunt's commands. Pretending to be pregnant like this is really hard for me. I keep remembering our dead baby girl."

Daharu turned Sayuri's body, staring at the woman's face that had been wet with tears. Her eyes were filled with fiery revenge.

"That woman... She has taken many things from me. She killed my biological mother. She killed the stepmother who loved me. She tortured me. She even almost harmed Damiwo when he was still in my womb, by giving me herbs, which she said for health. But she changed mind and make me a spy for her."

Daharu snorted in anger.

"I swear I will snatch all of her possessions, wealth, power, position, even her children and grandchild. She must feel ten times the loss of what I experienced," Sayuri said with trembling lips and gnashing of teeth.

Daharu wiped Sayuri's tears using his sleeve, then kissed her lips gently.

"This is not only your grudge, but my grudge as well. When we sailed five years ago, I have decided to give up that position and build a small family with you in another country. But they themselves are looking for trouble for us first. Not only poison me, do you remember, the pirate who attacked us a year after we left Marugin, which killed our Damina?"

Sayuri nodded.

"Fukuda sent them."

Sayuri closed her open mouth. Tears flowed again, remembering their five-year-old daughter who had been killed by an arrow shot by a pirate.

"Mina... My daughter Damina... Until now I still curse myself for failing to protect my beloved daughter..." Sayuri roared in her husband's arms.

"I only found out about this a few months before we returned. That is why I returned. I will take back my rights, and finish them all. All."

Daharu took Sayuri's hand and held it tightly, "after all this is finished, we can live happily, three of us with Damiwo. We will rule this island together. I promise, I will replace your miserable years with eternal happiness."

Sayuri was stunned. Even though the sentence Daharu said might have been just a hoax or a lie, she still wanted to keep it in her heart. Her feelings swelled, could not hide it anymore.

"May I say something now?"

"What do you want to say?"

"I love you."

Daharu chuckled softly, "you say, there is no love between us."

"I lied. I fell in love with you after we got married. But I don't want to confess it to you, because I thought I was just one-sided. You married me because there was already Damiwo in my womb, who was present from a one-night relationship."