Chapter 1: Unsurprised

Jungkook stood in the hallway outside of Jimin's room. He was eavesdropping. He'd woken up to loud whispering a moment ago and wondered what on earth was going on. Then he'd wandered out the door of his bedroom to investigate.

Jimin, still lying in his bed, was whispering to Tae, who was standing near the doorway. Tae was wearing his Tata pajamas. He yawned. He hadn't been ready to get out of bed, but they needed to plan this party while Jungkook couldn't surprise them.

"Is he still asleep?"

Tae nodded. "Out cold."

"Good! So, everything is set for his birthday. Jin ordered the cake. Yoongi is covering the snacks. Hobi is getting decorations. You and I just need to invite the rest of his friends. And we need to figure out some way to get him to the restaurant without making him suspicious."

"We'll just ask our manager to call a working dinner."

"On Jungkook's birthday?"

"Sure. Why not? We're usually working on our birthdays. Just because we're on break doesn't mean we don't still work. Our manager can say an emergency arose, and we need to meet that night for a little while."

"If it's an emergency, would we meet for dinner, though?"

Tae considered the question. "Well, even in an emergency, we'd still need to eat. Besides, it doesn't have to be a dire emergency, just enough of one to call a meeting."

Jimin agreed, "Ok. Sounds good. Hey, would you make sure Jungkook is still sleeping?"

Jungkook took off down the hallway at lightning speed, ran through his doorway, and collapsed onto the floor, where he had fallen asleep last night. His bed was still littered with piles of clothes he'd been ignoring for weeks. Jimin had firmly locked his own door last night, so Jungkook couldn't steal his bed. So, the floor had become his friend; though, it was less than comfortable. In fact, right now it was downright hard. When had the ground gotten so hard? He used to sleep on it occasionally as a kid. It had never felt like this. Hearing Tae approaching his room, Jungkook planted his face in the floor and closed his eyes. He pretended to breathe deeply. After a minute, he heard Tae close his door and walk away.

So, his brothers were throwing a birthday party for him. He grinned. He loved the years the gift was a surprise. He was turning twenty-two on Sunday. He'd have to keep their secret. Wouldn't want to spoil it for them. But he might just have a surprise of his own for them!