Chapter 12: Disheartened

When Hyejin finished her phone call with her appa, she turned towards Jungkook.

"I have to go. I need to meet up with my appa."

"Oh, ok." Jungkook was a little disappointed until he looked at his watch. "Oh, no! I'm late for a meeting! I'll see you tomorrow?"

She nodded. "See you in the morning."

Then he paused as he realized something.

"Um...Hyejin, I have to go straight to a meeting. You, uh, don't happen to have a sweatshirt I could borrow, do you?"

He was thinking about the sleeve of his shirt that was still wet from wiping her nose.

Hyejin looked down at it. Her eyes widened.

"Let me check my drawers. I might have an oversized one that would fit you."

She returned a few moments later carrying a large, black sweatshirt.

"Perfect," Jungkook grinned as he began to unbutton his shirt.

Hyejin froze, uncertain whether she should watch him or not. But rather fascinated by the vision that was slowly unfolding before her eyes. Since she wasn't a part of ARMY, she didn't know anything about how his fans waxed eloquent about his abdominal muscles. But she was getting a picture that she wouldn't soon forget.

When Jungkook had finished unbuttoning his shirt, he stripped it off and folded it up. Hyejin nearly fainted. He was so captivating. She stood staring at every single abdominal muscle beautifully outlined before her. He clearly spent a good deal of time at the gym and probably didn't eat enough food either! Was the man human? Her eyes traveled over the smooth skin of his belly, then her gaze shifted to meet his as he reached out for the sweatshirt. She could feel herself blushing.

Jungkook was privately grinning to himself. Girls did not seem to be immune to the charms of his bare torso. It seemed that Hyejin was no exception to that rule. All those hours in the gym were paying off. He was a little reluctant to put on the sweatshirt. He was enjoying the look on her face. She had just turned a delightful shade of rose.

His eyes found her now matching lips, and he discovered an overwhelming desire to kiss her goodbye. He tamped down on it, saying instead, "Thank you for the shirt. I'll see you tomorrow," before he rushed out the door, running all the way, his white blouse clutched in his left hand.

--

Jungkook was finding it impossible to sleep tonight. For one thing, his bed had so many clothes piled up on it that there was nowhere to sleep. And the floor was hard. He'd tried to sneak into Jimin's bedroom but had found the door locked. He'd gone to the living room for a while and occupied a couch, but he still couldn't sleep.

His brain kept reliving every moment he'd spent with Hyejin all week. They were playing on a loop in his mind. He was also thinking about how he now felt obsessed with the desire to kiss her. He remembered her hot breath slipping over his lips this morning as she bent to scrutinize his face. He remembered her eyes caressing his skin in her bathroom, her lips tantalizing near his own mouth. Just one kiss! He wanted one. This burning desire was warring with every chivalrous intention in his heart. His mind and his body wanted kisses; his heart wanted to honor and respect her and take things slowly.

But we don't have much time!

He wasn't even sure how he was going to manage to see her once their full schedule resumed in five weeks. He sighed. The life of a K-pop idol was immense pressure, indeed. And finding a girl to love was just adding more complications to it.

So, he tossed and turned on that inflexible floor for hours, finally drifting off to sleep around four o'clock. He'd woken with a start right after Tae had left his bedroom. Jungkook could hear Tae and Jimin whispering and had followed the sound until he'd overheard their plans for his birthday in three days.

After he'd face-planted himself on his floor, he'd remembered that he was supposed to meet Hyejin at the park this morning. He looked at the clock. 9:05! Yesterday he'd arrived at the park around six o'clock. She'd shown up at seven. He was two hours late! He jumped up and threw on some clothes and headed for the park. Even though he was late, he was happy. Happy because he knew where she lived. Happy because he'd see her today. He could hardly wait!

He grinned at the sun shining down on him. He was protected from its rays by his baseball cap and sunglasses. But its light was still filling his heart with joy. Hyejin loved him! It was the sweetest secret! He savored it, relishing that it was a secret only the two of them knew.

He searched the park for her, but she was nowhere to be found. So, he walked to her house. He was disappointed to discover a note on the door. She'd gone to work an hour ago. But she'd left him hope. She wanted to know if he was free tonight.

He sighed in frustration. He wasn't. He looked around for something to write with. She'd left a pencil on the ground. He wasn't going to see her today after all. He wondered where she worked. He'd never asked her about a job. Or even how old she was.

He scribbled a note informing her that he'd be working tonight, but would she meet him in the park tomorrow morning? He wouldn't be late again. Then he left her his phone number before he walked back home, a little disheartened.

The next morning his alarm woke him at 5:30. He wasn't about to miss seeing Hyejin again! He dressed quickly and grabbed something to munch on while he walked. He flew out the door a few minutes later.

The sun was still rising, beginning to flood the sky with brilliant pink and yellow and indigo. He smiled. He loved the promise of each new day that was painted on the canvas of the sky. No two mornings were alike. They were like people's fingerprints, each unique. Every single one special like all the different people in the world. Each person born for a specific purpose, a special calling, something that set them each apart from the others as one-of-a-kind. The morning sunrise always reminded him of that.

He arrived at the park just as the day began to brighten, and the colors faded from the sky to leave only blue and brilliant rays of a burning sun. He walked for a few minutes searching the usual spots for Hyejin and 22. To no avail. Just then, his phone rang. He didn't recognize the number. He answered it.

"Jungkook?" If was her sweet voice, hesitant now.

"Hyejin?"

"Yes!" Now she sounded more like herself. "Jungkook, can you meet me at my house in a few minutes?"

"I'm on my way now."

"See you soon." She paused, unsure how to end the conversation. Should she say, "I love you"?

"Hyejin, I missed you yesterday. Terribly."

"Me too."

"I'll see you in a few...I love you." He whispered the last three words, and they slipped right into her heart.

"I love you too, Jungkook." Then she hung up.

Ten minutes later, he arrived on her doorstep. He didn't even have time to knock before the door swung wide open.

"Come in," she grinned at him.

He stepped through the doorway and immediately met a quandary. He wanted to pull her into his arms and hug her, but were they close enough friends for him to do that? He swung the door shut while he decided. Then he stepped forward and reached for her. He pulled her up against him and buried his face in her luxurious, midnight locks. He inhaled the scent of cherry blossoms and smiled.