Chapter 16: Chocolate Kisses

Saturday flew by as both Jungkook and Hyejin spent the entire day working. Then he had a dinner meeting, so they were unable to see each other the entire day. They spoke briefly over the phone and made plans for him to pick her up at five-thirty the next evening.

Hyejin hummed as she walked home from the market, Twenty-two tugging her along by his leash. To the casual observer, the dog appeared to be walking the girl. She was swinging a sack in her free hand. Within its confines rested the presents she was planning to give Jungkook for his birthday. She had just visited a gourmet chocolate shop. She had selected a variety of chocolate truffles and a large bar of Belgian chocolate to give him. She was going to wrap his gifts as soon as she got home.

A few minutes later, she let Twenty-two into the house. Then she went in search of wrapping paper. She neatly covered the box of truffles with the decorative paper before wrapping the chocolate bar. She set them both on the table as she headed for the shower. Jungkook would be here in an hour. She needed to get ready.

An hour later, Hyejin emerged from her bedroom, bathed, dressed, and coiffed. She'd spent a long time getting ready. She wanted to look especially beautiful tonight for Jungkook on his birthday. She also was anticipating meeting all of his friends. She was admittedly nervous. What if they didn't like her? What if they took one look at her and Jungkook and immediately discerned what they were hiding? She swallowed, trying to overcome her sudden trepidation.

Just then she heard a strange sound. She looked down on the floor. Twenty-two was lying on the floor, making weird grunting noises. He was surrounded by little bits of paper. And half an uneaten bar of chocolate.

"Oh, no! Twenty-two! Did you eat Jungkook's chocolate?"

Don't panic, Hyejin. Chocolate can be fatal for dogs, but he didn't eat that much, and he's huge. He'll be all right. But now I've got to take him to the vet! I'm going to miss Jungkook's party!

Why was she both disappointed and relieved all at once?

Just then a knock sounded on her door. She went to answer it. She swung the door open to reveal Jungkook in all his glory.

Her eyes swept over him from head to toe and back up again, coming to rest on his gorgeous face. He was dressed very sharply in all black. She felt faint. He looked so wonderful. It was his birthday, and she wasn't going to be able to spend it with him.

"Happy Birthday, Jungkook."

He looked at her, stultified by the sorrow in her tone. He quirked a dark eyebrow at her. "That was the saddest 'Happy Birthday' I've ever heard," he responded.

"I'm sorry! I can't go to your party with you! My dog just ate your birthday present. I have to take him to the vet."

Confused, Jungkook searched the apartment for clues. "What was my birthday present?"

"A chocolate bar."

"Really?! I love chocolate!"

"Sorry," she responded, chagrined. "He ate it!"

Jungkook knelt next to Twenty-two. "Hey, buddy! So, I hear you ate my birthday present, huh?" His eye fell on the half-eaten bar next to the dog. "Oh! But I see you left some for me! That's good! Hopefully, you won't be too sick. But just to make sure, we're going to take you to see the vet, ok?" Jungkook pocketed the remainder of the chocolate.

"What? No, Jungkook, you don't have to go with me! You'll miss your own birthday party!"

"It's ok. I'm going with you. You're going to need me to lug this big brute around."

With a sinking heart, she realized he was right. There was no way she was strong enough to pick her dog up and carry him anywhere. She looked at Jungkook with tears in her eyes.

"I am so sorry! How about you just help us get there, and then you can head to your party?"

Jungkook didn't answer her. He was busy picking Twenty-two up in his arms. They were able to take a taxi to the vet. When they arrived, the receptionist told them to have a seat. The vet was dealing with an emergency and would be a while.

Hyejin was pretty sure her dog's situation was an emergency too, so she fully explained to the woman what had happened. Once again, Hyejin was politely asked to take a seat.

Hyejin sat down next to Jungkook. She was visibly distressed.

"Does the woman not understand the gravity of the situation?"

"He's going to be ok. I looked it up. You bought a Belgian chocolate bar. They're low in cocoa content. He is a huge dog and he ate only about one ounce. Waiting here for a little while before he can be seen won't hurt him." He turned toward Hyejin. "Really," he put his hand on her knee to comfort her, "22 will be all right."

"Jungkook! You need to go! You're already going to be late enough to your party even if you leave right now! Thank you for helping me get him here."

He smiled at her. "I'm not going anywhere." He bent to pet the quiet dog at his feet. "You're going to need help taking him home. Besides, I'm not leaving you here alone. I know you're worried."

Hyejin just looked at him. Oh, he was boyfriend material, all right! He was giving up an evening celebrating with his closest friends to sit in a vet's office with a girl he hadn't known ten days ago. And all because she'd bought him the wrong birthday present. Or got herself the wrong dog.