Angie

I walked over the school yard. Dad promised he would pick up Max today, since it’s his birthday, but he forgot the time whilst working. So now I have to tell Max that his father would rather work than celebrate his son’s 10th birthday.

“Hey, Maxie!” Max squealed when he noticed me walking, and ran up to me. I ruffled his hair, and walked with him back to his teachers to get his things.

“Dad said he would pick me up, where is he?” Max looked over at the way I came. My smile faded, and I fiddled with the hem of my shirt. I stopped walking and looked into his eyes.

“Maxie, I’m sorry. You know how he is. He got stuck at work. But I promise you than when he can, he will make it up to you.” It broke my heart as I watched the light disappear from my brother’s eyes.

He had been so excited this morning that dad and he were going to hang out. Dammit dad! Can’t you see how this is hurting Max?

“Okay.” Max mumbled. I sighed and brushed my hair out of my face. I watched as Max said goodbye to his teacher and went to get his things. He walked slowly with his head hanging slightly.

The second he was out of sight, I pulled up my phone.

“Dad! How could you? Max was really looking forward to this! You can’t just put him on hold while you work, it’s not good for him!” I rambled when he answered. I waited for dad to say something, but it never came.

“Dad? Are you even listening to me?” I scratched the back of my neck.

“What? No. I’m sorry Angelina, but I’m way to busy right now. Call me tomorrow.” I opened my mouth to say something, but he just hung up.

I let out a frustrated sigh. Looking up I noticed Max smiling at me.

“I see he ditched us both, huh?” Max said, walking over to me.

“Looks like it. Let’s go to the Coffee shop, eh?” Max nodded.

“Angie, that boy is still looking at you.” I grunted and took a sip from my coffee. Coffee shop boy is in, and Max noticed how he always looked my way instantly.

“Oh, I obviously wasn’t aware of that.” I said. Max shook his head and pointed at my coffee mug.

“I think he wants you to read that.” I looked the way Max pointed, and noticed a sticky note taped on the bottom of my mug.

Someone once told me to let you go

But I’ve never even held your hand

Can you give me the honor?

I smiled, and decided to write him a reply.

 Maybe you should let me go

Since I don’t know your name

And you don’t know my story

I taped the sticky note to the bottom of my mug. Looking up, I noticed him looking at me, with a small half smile on his lips.

Looking back at Max I heard him mumble.

“Teenagers” But I let it slip, because I had this warm feeling in my chest, which I’ve never felt before.