Cole

”Go! Cole, I’ll be fine! See, I’m exiting the car.” Austin spoke as he did what he said. He wasn’t sitting next to me in my dad’s care anymore, he was standing outside it.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay going to school today?” I asked, rising an eyebrow. My brother rolled his eyes at me and smiled.

“Yes, Collin. I will.” Austin smiled, since he knows I hate being called by my full name.

“Okay, then. My phone will be on, so if anything happens… Call me.” Austin nodded and turned around. I watched as he entered the school.

Sighing, I started driving to the Coffee Shop. I stayed home yesterday, to make sure Austin was alright. I was itching to know if she had come in yesterday.

I opened the door. Michaels smiled when he noticed me.

“Welcome back my friend! Your girlfriend asked about you yesterday, told her you had a family crisis. She looked pretty sad when she noticed you weren’t here.” He said, hugging me, even though I’ve told him a million times not to do that.

I didn’t answer that.

“Angie! You’re back!” I looked up from my phone when I heard her name.

She was standing by the entrance, looking down on her fiddling thumbs. Her hair was pulled up in to a bun.

“Hm. Yes. I-is he here?” I could barely hear what she said, since her voice sounded weak and small. And because I was on the other side of the room.

Michaels pointed at me, and she looked the way he pointed.

Her eyes met mine for a second, before she looked back down on her hands.

Without a word, she walked to where I was and took my hand in hers.

Her hand was small and felt smooth over mine. I looked down on our hands, and back up at her. She looked straight into my eyes, and didn’t look away this time.

“Hello, Cole. Long time now see.” Her voice that earlier sounded small, filled up the room.

I opened my mouth to answer, but I couldn’t find the right words. She let go of my hand, and her lips curved up into a smile.

“I’ll see you around.” With that, she walked away from me, past Greta, and Michael. 

My eyes followed her until she stepped out of my range of sight.

Looking down on where her hand had been on mine, I noticed a crumbled sticky note.

It kills me to see someone as beautiful as you so sad

You don’t deserve to be