XXVII

"Blake."

Cam repeats my name again. He's been saying it for the past ten minutes, following me around the apartment while I rushed to get ready for my plans with Mia. I hadn't spoken to her since everything had happened with Ethan, and I was missing a little girl time with my best friend.

I ran through everything I was supposed to do before I left the apartment.

Shower.

Clothes, shoes...

Was I wearing underwear?

A quick check under my jeans proved that I indeed was wearing them.

"What the hell are you doing?"

My head snapped up to meet Cam's amused - and yet very confused - expression.

"I was... Ah, nothing. It doesn't matter."

I headed back into my bedroom to grab my handbag. I was going to be late. Mia and I had made plans to meet at the shopping centre near me at one o'clock, and it was currently nearing quarter to. Which meant I didn't have a lot of time to catch a bus or an Uber and hightail it down there before she called me, demanding to know where I was.

"Blake." He said again.

"Oh my God, what?"

He huffed cheerily, happy in his own way that I had finally acknowledged him.

"I have to tell you something."

I crossed my arms and looked at him. "You've had me to yourself all morning. Why didn't you tell me then?"

Cam and I had grown closer since everything went down. There was no more awkwardness between us, and honestly, all of those petty arguments we had kind of seemed stupid in retrospect. Now there was something else I had to consider... my feelings for him. To be more precise, how deep those feelings ran.

"Because I was going to do this whole surprise thing when you got home after seeing Mia, but I can't wait."

He was all but bouncing on the balls of his feet in excitement. He'd never had a very good poker face. I could feel the smile tugging at the corners of my lips. I think I'd known for a while how I felt about Cam but was too scared to admit it, even to myself. But it was a solid connection between us, something so real I could almost feel it.

I caved.

"Five minutes."

He beamed at me and my stomach clenched. This boy, I swear.

"Okay. So remember how you've been looking at all of those old mansions and historical places nearby?"

I nodded slowly, remembering how Cam discovered my love for such buildings when he jumped up from behind the couch and scared the shit out of me. I'd had no idea he was even home, I thought he was out with the boys. But considering I almost threw my laptop at him when I screamed, let's just say he found my interests... interesting.

His smile seemed to grow if that was even possible. His dimples were standing out on his cheeks. "What would you say if I told you that I'd booked us a weekend away at one of those places?"

I think my mouth dropped open. I wasn't actually sure. I just felt my chest tightening in excitement and knew I was going to start squealing in a moment if I didn't control myself. A weekend away in a historic venue? Oh God, I could just imagine it. And a weekend with just Cam and I? It shouldn't seem any different since we share an apartment, but it did. It felt different. It felt like it meant something new.