XXIX

I can sense it. I know it's coming.

"Blake!"

And there it is.

As much as I love packing, it seems that I don't quite have the knack for it. Somehow, I manage to forget almost everything that I actually need for a weekend away.

Phone charger? Forgot it.

Underwear? Eh, who needs it anyway.

Toothbrush? Well, maybe the hotel would provide one?

Wishful thinking, I know.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!"

"You've been saying that for the past twenty minutes."

Cam's voice sounded closer, and when I looked up I saw him standing in my doorway. His arms were crossed over his chest, and his face was a mix between exasperation and amusement. But I think his patience was quickly wearing thin.

"We're only going for the weekend, you probably won't even use half of this crap." He gestured to my bag that was filling up with clothes, shoes, books and anything else I thought I might need.

I shrugged. "I'm a girl."

That should explain everything it needs to.

"And?"

But apparently it doesn't.

"Do you really want to get into this conversation?"

Cam cocks an eyebrow and it takes all I have not to smirk.

"Well. It's cold, for one. So I need different jumpers to wear during the day and for nighttime in case it gets cold. What if one day I don't feel like wearing jeans and want to wear something else? And we might get through this mystery place you're taking me to in record time, so I'll have to bring a book to keep me occupied."

I don't actually mean much of what I just said, but seeing Cam's lips part in his floundering state really made my day.

He sighed. "I'm so going to regret getting into this. Wear the same jumper all day, suck it up and wear jeans, and if we finish early then we'll just come home."

I smiled at him. He really didn't understand our logic. "Girls have different jumpers for day and night. It's a thing. But I can deal with jeans all day, I don't really wear much else. And would you really drive home when you'd already planned this whole weekend?"

Cam opened his mouth but was cut off by a sharp knock on the front door.

He frowned. "Are you expecting anyone?"

I shook my head, my expression mimicking his.

Following Cam out into the living area, I leaned my hip against the island as he opened the door, revealing a tired-looking Mia with a duffel bag over her shoulder and a sulking Luke in tow. I pushed off the counter and walked to the door.

"Mia? What's going on? Is everything okay?"

She looked at Cam for a moment before her eyes came back to rest on me. "My dad's got a bunch of friends over and I don't really feel comfortable staying there right now." She looked down as she swallowed, appearing to need time to gather her words. "I know that this is a lot to ask, but is there any chance we'd be able to stay here while you guys are out of town? If it's not okay, we can find someplace else to stay, it's just--"

"Mia," Cam interrupted. "It's fine. Come on in."

Mia looked as if she could cry, and nodded her head thankfully before ducking it to conceal her trembling lower lip. I wanted to hug her. I wanted to hug Cam. He had no idea what was going on in Mia's home life - it hadn't been my story to tell - and yet here he was, allowing her and her brother to crash here at a moment's notice.