Change of Fate

Zander stood. Froze in place with wind blowing on his face and his semi-brown hair. The park he was in was full of people. But his eyes haven't move an inch from the short-haired girl. Both of their eyes met and time feels like slowing down. But in real-time, everything was going so fast. With only 1 accident, everything in your life. Every timeline. Could change...

10 Years Ago

       "Seriously. What are we doing here, Deby?" Zander asked, clearing out leaves that stand out in front of him. "Just wait, Zee." she turned back, slowing down her pace of walking and locking eyes with the purple eyes that Zander has, "I told you that I have a surprise, right?" Deby smiled before turning forward and start to walk again. In the back, Zander kept following her in silence. Face red...

       And heart beating like hell's having an eruption.

       "Oh, yeah. Zander?" the other hum in response, "Do you still read those books I gave about Emotions Stability?" She asked with a raspy voice in her throat. "Yeah. I do." Zander replied calmly as he pulls out his right hand to touch the flower that they come across. "How long is this going to be, Deby?" he asked. "Alright! We're almost there. But, first, close your eyes." she said, drawing near to Zander as he closed his galaxy-like eyes. "Uh, okay? But why?", "This is a surprise, idiot. Isn't this what they do in movies?" Deby pouts but unpresentable to Zander. She puts a blindfold around him, making Zander scoff.

       The ruffling noise that Deby makes catches Zander's ears, making the other raised an eyebrow.

       "Okay. You can open your eyes in 3... 2... 1!"

       And as Deby snatches the blindfold that Zander was wearing, the male's face formed a light shock expression from what he was seeing right there. It was a garden covered with leaves, vines, and flowers. In the middle, beautiful grey-colored pillars formed a huge sitting area that is very comfortable. But what Zander's eyes were blown away by was the fairy lights that covered each pillar. He then turns to Deby.

       "So... this was your surprise, huh?" he scoffs, locking his eyes with the others again. Deby smiled, "Well, what do you think?" There was a moment of silence.

       "I... love it." He pointed out, making Deby smiles wider. She grabbed Zander's hand without thinking, "H-hey..", "Just follow me, okay?", "Well, right now you ARE pulling my wrist, so, that's the only thing I could be doing." He stated, the girl chuckled.

       They stand, face to face. "Huh... you look like you want to say something?" He looked closely at Deby, she sighs as she looks down. "Deby? You okay?" She sighs once again.

       "Zander, I know we're going to go to college soon, and no matter how hard we tried, we're going to get separated either way." She said, lowering her voice in each word she speaks. Zander tilts his head. "Okay? Then?" Deby doesn't continue. A fear and confused expression actually formed within Zander's face.

       "Deby?"

       Her head shot up, making Zander jump from his place. She smiled, widely brighten her eyes that also scared Zander. But then, she said something that changes his life. His heart. And his goal to live.

       .

       .

       .

       .

       .

       "Let's get married in the future!"

       ... a moment of silence filled the world that exists around them. The flowing leaves feel like they stopped moving just to look at the two humans below them. Zander's eyes widened. His mouth is gaping and his throat feels like it's about to burn. But... on the other hand, Deby keeps her head low. In all honesty, she was about to cry. She doesn't know how to handle this kind of situation. Her eyes were sparkling with tears that were about to come out.

       "Deby... that wasn't a joke. Right?" Zander finally spoke, startling Deby who's still keeping her head low to the ground. The girl shook her head, telling the other, 'no'.

       Out of nowhere, a pair of arms pulled Deby to his warm chest and let her stay there for a while. Deby couldn't speak anymore. All words lost, replaced by a medley of stutter. Zander exhale. "If that's your wish, then I would be so happy to fulfill it with you." he pulls out Deby from his hug, letting her see him smiling genuinely. A compilation of stutter starts to play in Deby's mouth once again. But, right now, tears were flowing non-stop from where it came from. And once again, she hugged him.

       "I love you!" she shouts happily. The boy smiled, definitely not letting go of the other.

10 Years Later

       The wind is still blowing. The two fated destinations looked at each other, examining. But what startles the guy, was when she smiled without warning him. She waves, still with a wide smile that he hasn't seen in 10 years. The guy doesn't even need to force out a smile, to give the girl back what she was already doing.

       "Deby!"

       A shout. A shout that comes from another guy. Zander watch as his throat tightened. "Hey, you okay?" the guy poked her, while Deby's face changes drastically. "Deby? You sure you're not sick today?" he asked again, still looked confused with Deby's choice of expression. Tears started to flow from her eyes, but her pupils were still deadpan to the direction where Zander stands.

       Wait... no. This is not right

        Zander checks one last time. Then, his eyes were led by an all-rounded, sparkling grey ring, that completes her hands. And without his acknowledgment, a stream of tears start to flow on his own eyes. Even he was surprised by his own feeling. This is the first time Zander cried. But he doesn't care.

        She broke her own promise.

       Deby broke her own promise.

       Never in his life, he would think, that someone so great and so spectacular as she, would betray him. He doesn't care that he's in a park. He doesn't care that it's full of people. His heart was torn apart.

       He started to walk away.

       "ZANDER! WAIT!" she shouts, grabbing everyone's attention. "Deby, what are you-"...

       She screamed.

       Her shirt soaked with the tears she formed. Her throat feels hot. She cannot speak. The guy pulls his hand to lift her up from the pathway. "Deby... are you okay?" he asked. Deby sniffs before looking at him.

       "David?" she asked, trying to smile.

       "Sometimes...

       I hate myself."