mr. cruel

Sitting down in their older sister Karmein's bedroom, the three young girls began watching a documentary about Marilyn Monroe.

It was school holidays in 1991: 13-year-old Karmein Chan was babysitting her sisters, Karlie, nine, and Karen, seven, while their parents worked at the Chinese restaurant they ran, just 10 minutes away from the family home in Templestowe, north-west Melbourne.

At 9pm, Karlie and Karen went to the kitchen where they made a shocking discovery.

Standing there was a man in a black balaclava with white stitching around the eyes and mouth. He was holding a large knife.

The man forced the two sisters into a wardrobe, which he barricaded.

As darkness encased them, the evil intruder then grabbed Karmein and dragged her out onto the street.

Although the petrified girls managed to force their way out of the cupboard, they'd never see Karmein alive again...

Whoever the intruder was, he'd left a message, spray-painted on one of the cars at the Chan home: Payback More to come and Asian drug deal.

A police search and public call for information failed to produce any leads on Karmein's whereabouts.

Four days before the one-year anniversary of her abduction, a dog-walker stumbled upon a skull at a State Electricity Commission terminal station 16km from the Chan home.

It was later confirmed to be Karmein's. She'd been shot in the head three times.

Head of the Homicide Squad, Detective Chief Inspector Peter Halloran, suggested that Karmein's body had likely been in this shallow grave ever since she was abducted.

The whole of Melbourne was gripped by fear that a child-killer was on the loose. And frighteningly, the murder of Karmein Chan bore striking resemblances to earlier cases.

On August 22, 1987, a man in a balaclava broke into a family home in Lower Plenty, where he tied up the parents and their six-year-old son.

The family's 11-year-old daughter was made to clean her teeth before the man assaulted her.