chapter two.

As people laughed and laughed over Keith’s obvious heartbreak over the stranger, he had to wipe tears from his eyes with a red-gloved hand. He hopped up to his feet, combat boots making a noticeable click as they hit the ground with every stomping step he took through Rolo’s place. He was vaguely aware of Nyma trying to convince him to stay. But she was a bit tipsy, everyone was but Keith, that’s probably why Lance had kissed him. He was under the influence of one of the cans and cans of beer at the party.

Keith stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind him, just as a chilling wind hit his body. It was pitch black and freezing cold, he had really lost track of time. He checked his phone, it was 11 pm. How did that happen? There were also countless missed calls from Shiro and his boyfriend Adam. He started checking the texts Shiro had sent him while he was gone.

“Hi Keith, it’s Shiro. You probably figured. Just in case you drink at the party, I’ll be awake until you call me or Adam and tell us that you are safe. Don’t drive drunk, please, we can pick you up, and maybe deliver some nice company.”

The company part seemed joyous to him. He didn’t like many people, especially when they saw him upset, but Shiro was just… an exception. He had always been there to help, before anything else he put Keith. It meant a lot. He then checked a text from Adam,

“Keith!!! Are you okay?? It’s been hours! Text someone right away!”

Adam worried like that. Shiro, though protective, knew well that Keith was an adult and could manage his own. Adam? Not so much. If Keith didn’t text him goodnight he assumed he was dead. He was 100% a “mom” to Keith.

He kept his phone in his hand as he hopped into his car, starting it up for the sake of the heater. He cranked the heat up, sighing in relief at the heat. He looked back down at his phone, deciding to call up Shiro. In an instant, he answered.

“Keith?”  He heard Shiro say from the other line. Keith sighed in relief. “Yeah, hi Shiro.” He answered, crossing his legs and enjoying the warmth of his car.

“Did you get my texts?”
“Yup, every one of them. And the ones from Adam, too.” He answered, staring up his car.

“So you don’t need help?”
“No, I don’t.”

“Oh, thank God. Adam was about to run out there and help you himself.” The relief in Shiro’s voice made Keith smile a bit. He didn’t smile at much, but this was one thing that made him all content.

The line was silent for a bit before Keith finally asked the question he had on his mind. “...can you guys come over?” He asked, his voice echoing in the car a bit. No matter how close he and Shiro were and always would be, Keith still hated asking for help.
“Of course we can. Should we pack for a little sleepover?” Shiro’s voice was teasing but in a gentle way. Like a big brother poking fun at his little brother. Nothing mean.

Keith let out a huff of fake annoyance. “Yes, Shiro. Pack for a “little sleepover.”

“I thought you’d never ask… be there soon.”

Keith wrapped his hands around the steering wheel, taking a deep breath before starting to drive out of the driveway. He found himself driving a bit too recklessly back to his apartment. After a while of sitting in the city traffic, he finally made it home. He pulled into a parking spot, putting the car in park and yanking the keys out, swinging open the door and hopping out. He locked up his car before jogging up the steps.

When he opened his front door, he wasn’t surprised to see Shiro and Adam’s familiar faces. They were on the couch, cuddling up to each other and watching TV. They both had a key to his place, because sometimes Keith was mid-panic in need for them to come over and unable to open the door, but they came just to steal snacks sometimes. Keith was fine with  this.

Usually, seeing Adam and Shiro all lovey-dovey made Keith happy, but right now it made him absolutely furious. “Get up.” He growled at them, slamming the front door behind him as he stepped in. He took the red gloves off his hands and slammed them on the kitchen table, groaning.

Shiro had crept up behind him, Keith hadn’t realized until he felt the man’s hand on his shoulder. “Keith, what happened at that party?” He asked him. Shiro was so annoyingly good at reading Keith like a book. In response, Keith huffed loudly and flopped onto the couch. Adam was sat with his legs crossed on the other side. He was glancing at Shiro, concern shimmering in his golden eyes, he pushed up his cat-eye glasses. Shiro nodded reassuringly at the other male.

Keith crossed his arms, glancing at the TV. It had some standup comedy show on it, usually the stuff the three would laugh together about on a bad night, but Keith really wasn’t feeling it. He grabbed the remote and muted the volume. “I just- I don’t really know what happened, okay!?” Adam was visually taken aback by Keith’s sudden outburst. Shiro, however, seemed used to it. “Well, why’d you leave?”

The black-haired boy looked up at Shiro, sad violet eyes softening. “There was… this guy. A-and he’s pretty, sure, but-” Shiro glanced at Adam and smirked a bit, a little petty “I told you so” smirk. Keith sighed and looked down at his lap. “And he just walked up to me, OBVIOUSLY flirting, and I was weirdly into it. BUT THEN he even dragged me into the spin-the-bottle circle . And he left me across the circle, it didn’t make sense until one time they spun and-”

He didn’t even have to finish. Adam and Shiro, in synch, gasped. Little petty high-school girl gasps. “No he didn’t!!” Adam said, looking at Shiro in legitimate disbelief. “You had your first kiss with some stranger at this party?” Shiro asked Keith, raising an eyebrow, but it was unnecessary. They were all on the same page now as Keith nodded. “No way.” Adam whispered under his breath.

“BUT THEN,” Keith started again, capturing the other two’s attention. They were getting off on this fresh gossip. “We were getting all into it, it was all nice..” His cheeks visibly reddened. Shiro grinned as he noticed, glancing at Adam and mouthing the words ‘young love.’ Adam nodded in response, then they both turned their attention back. “And suddenly he just stood up and shoved me off! He said he had a girlfriend and left, like who does that!?”

Adam looked shocked, he turned back to Shiro, who was just shaking his head. “Queer kids in denial.” He answered, his voice melancholy. Adam laughed quietly. Keith crossed his arms, closing his eyes and reliving the moment, it was so nice until it ended and left a bitter taste on his tongue. He could still feel Lance’s arm around his waist, his lips against Keith’s, the way he smelled like sea water even though there was no ocean anywhere near their little hometown. His soft caramel skin rubbing against Keith’s, how his skin contrasted so beautifully against Keith’s pale complexion.

He really wanted this boy, if it killed him.

“Well if you-” Shiro started, but Keith narrowed his violet eyes and stiffened his expression. Shiro stopped himself. He knew when Keith was at his breaking point. This was it. Adam, even though he was just as close to Keith, he simply didn’t have the seemingly psychic connection with him like Shiro did. “Hey, you know, if you really care that much-”

“I don’t care! I don’t fucking care! At all! Leave me alone!” Keith yelled suddenly, balling his fists. Shiro tugged Adam away from Keith. His eyes welled with tears, they quickly flooded and fell down his cheeks, sobbing quietly. Shiro wrapped the other up in a hug, shushing him quietly. Adam was frozen still in fear he’d do something wrong.

After a while of Shiro’s quiet consulting and a lot of Keith’s crying, the room had finally quieted down. Adam snuggled up to Shiro, who had an arm around Keith. They were happy. Adam took the remote and put back on the standup comedy from before.

Needless to say, Keith fell asleep happy that night.