chapter three.

It was a few days later, and Keith was paying Adam a visit in the bookstore he worked at. It was a humble store in a little shopping area near their houses, a little woodchime went off as he walked inside. “Welcome in!” A voice yelled from the counter. Keith could’ve sworn he knew that voice, but it wasn’t Adam’s. He knew it was his shift, he must’ve been working on restocking, Keith decided. He tugged down on his red flannel, fixing the collar and yawning. He poked around the shelf near the door, it had some newer books for display. Most of the shelves had books so old they were like fossils to Keith. For Adam, though, they were his childhood.

He finally stepped into the main part of the bookstore where the desk was. When his violet eyes met the cashier, he couldn’t believe his eyes. A Cuban boy stood there, he was looking down at a book on the counter but Keith could still see those perfect blue eyes, his skin looked oh so soft, Keith’s head got all woozy. Keith hadn’t realized he was staring until the other looked at him. He looked just as surprised to see Keith as Keith was to see him. 

“Lance?” Keith said finally. Lance shook his head in disbelief, stepping back from the counter. “Keith?” The other boy stepped around the counter to the front, shaking his head as he studied Keith with his blue eyes. “I-I’m so sorry.” Keith was visibly taken aback by the other’s apology. His heart started pounding and pounding and pounding like it wanted to leave his chest oh so badly, like it wanted to break free and start a life with Lance’s heart in his chest, inside his ribs, inside his soul, becoming one being powered by love. “What?” Keith replied.

Lance started pacing up and down the store. “What I did at that party--- it was shitty. And I can’t completely blame it on the alcohol, I was barely even tipsy.” His voice sounded so guilty it hurt. Keith shook his head. “No, no it’s okay, don’t worry about it. Really, don’t.” The last bit sounded like a threat, but he was truly passionate about his words.

Keith shyly shot the other a smile. He was glad to hear Lance sigh in relief at what he said, Keith had instantly worried he had said something dumb. “I would really like to get to know you better! I’m sorry for such a rocky start.” The other boy said, Keith nodded. “Yeah, we can do that.” He replied.

“Here- let me give you my number.” Lance was jotting down his number on a sticky note when Adam finally appeared behind Keith. “I see you met Lance?” He said, Keith jumped to the side and squeaked. Lance laughed at him, usually that would’ve pissed Keith off, but Lance’s laugh was so… cute, innocent. It reminded Keith of better days, made him remember there was more to come, too. “Yeah, I did.” Keith shot Adam a look full of annoyance and “pLeAsE DoN’T aSk” energy. Adam picked up on it and nodded, stepping back a bit.

Lance handed Keith the slip with his number on it. “I’ll text you when I get off, okay? It should be later tonight, sometime in the evening.” Keith nodded and took the slip, carefully folding it and putting it in the back pocket of his ripped jeans. Someone else walked in the store, Keith knew from the chime from the front door. “Welcome!” Adam called to the door.

When Keith looked back at Lance, he had caught him staring. For a split second he met his  beautiful blue eyes, cheeks flaring bright red. Lance and Keith both drew their eyes away from each other, embarrassed. Lance cleared his throat. “I should get back to work. I’ll see you after work..?” He suggested. Keith nodded rapidly at the idea. “Yeah, yeah totally. See you.”

Keith turned to Adam, who had already come for a hug. He gently hugged him back. “Have a good rest of your day, Adam. Say hi to Shiro for me.” Adam finally let go of him, keeping his hands on his shoulders. “I will. Be careful out there.” And finally, Keith was able to leave.

As he walked out of the bookstore to his car, his brain finally had processed what happened. Lance was there, and Keith had his number, and was going to see him later. Oh God, he was going to see him later. What would they do? Lance would have an answer. Hopefully. Keith unlocked his car and sat in the front seat, starting the Toyota up and turning on the radio as he started driving off.

Why was Lance so damn charming?