negative two

it's been a week.

I promised myself that I would try to at least get to know him, but I can't bring myself to go up and talk to him. so instead, I watch him from afar.

he's a strange one. he wears these baggy sweaters with sleeves that are too big on him, giving him sweater paws. I think I know why he wears them, I've seen it before.

ashton doesn't really talk. most people think he's mute, but I know he doesn't speak by choice. the kids here see him as an outcast and ignore him. he seems okay with it.

we have a few classes together. Everyday in science, he sits in the back, slouching in his seat trying to avoid being called on. I sit on the other corner in the back observing him.

during math, Ashton looks the worst. I know he's a smart kid, I've noticed his test scores when they are passed back. yet he zones out during the lessons. staring at the teacher, yet looking past her. I can see he's not really there.

in history, I see him pay a little more attention. he still doesn't seem to give a damn about the class, but once in a while I can see his ears perk up at something interesting that had happened in 1873.

when we go to lunch, ashton doesn't eat his. he stares at the food in disgust, as if it were an old rival. he throws it away without a word and rushes to hide in the restrooms. I passed by once to see if he was okay. he was crying.

as soon as the school day ends, ashton plunges deeper into his depressing state. there is a familiar aura to him, something dark and unexplainable. he stands at the bus stop waiting to go home with earbuds in his ears and a blank look. I see no emotions in his eyes.

I know he's dead inside.