Part 4

Disclaimer: This short story is partially a figment of my imagination. I do not intend to hurt anybody's sentiments or feelings. My sole aim while writing this was to try to portray the feelings of a devoted wife, sister and daughter-in-law. There are many strong characters and beautiful family members who probably don't get enough space in Ramayana. I hope people enjoy this and I'm extremely sorry if this hurts you. Copyright ©December, 2019.

4.

"Sumitranandan?" I called out to the footsteps in my room, "You're back early." I noticed as he reclined on the couch without uttering a word to me. Good. You should be guilty, after what you did, swami.

I looked back towards the city wrapped in gold and without a soul. This city had been more a home to me than Mithila, I gave this family all my love, affection to the point where I think I never gave enough love to my parents. What if I had a brother? What would he have done? I don't know how father's taking the news but I know enough, he won't stand against Raghukul, never. But I can.

Walking towards the certain room which was once full of joy, I spotted Sumant ji, "Excuse me? Can I meet the king, please?"

"I'm sorry, lady. The King is busy at the moment. Who let you in the palace? If you have a complaint, come to the court tomorrow, now go."

Adjusting my ghunghat a bit, I said, "Please sir, I lost my priced possession, please it's important, it won't take much long." I started creating a ruckus as I slowly inched towards the door in a hope that people inside will hear me.

Soon those big golden doors opened and out stepped the youngest prince of the Kingdom, "What is going on here? I had specifically ordered not to disturb Ram bhaiya!"

"My prince! Please, don't do this to me! If the King doesn't help me today, I'll lose everything I ever had!" I couldn't control anymore, waves of emotions shook my body. Quickly wiping my tears behind the veil, I joined my hands in front of him, "Please, my prince! Understand my pain, let me in, please!"

As the time went, the two queens stepped out backing the prince about not letting me enter, "Wait lady! You cannot enter! The King will see every petition in tomorrow's court." Widows of former King blocked my entrance.

"My Queens, please it's important! I'm suffering from great pain; I went to every person in power who could've helped me but to no avail, now my King is my only and last hope." If their wall was strong, my resolute was iron; I won't go back till I get justice.

Another argument broke out, sensing that my current approach wasn't going to work I started screaming, "My King! Help me, please! O descendant of Raghu, hear your subject, hear my plight! O son of Dashrath! I demand justice from you, King of Ayodhya!" Queens and the prince looked in horror as I screamed at the top of my voice.

"Why are you doing this?!" Eldest queen took me by shoulder and hissed, "Don't you know that your King is suffering from grave loss currently?! He himself assured the people of Ayodhya, he'll return to his duties tomorrow! Try to understand your King's pain and go from here, come tomorrow!"

"When a house is on fire; the apt time to throw water at it is at the moment, what will be the use of it when the fire has already reduced the house to ashes?"

"I do not care, my son-"

"Ram bhaiya has called her in." Another prince stepped out to take me in. "Come lady, my brother is ready to hear your request."

I bowed to him and walked in after the royal family members. As soon as I saw him tears once again started flowing.

"Dear sister, what happened?" Usually the calm voice which soothed every citizen did nothing today; my pain didn't lessen a bit.