Chapter 15

We leave the event like speed devils and Damian hardly says one word to me on the way home, but I don't push him to talk yet.

At some point, we're going to have to talk about the fact that his father was just killed, after he tried to rape me in front of the entire gala.

But now doesn't seem like the right time. He holds my hand so tightly the whole way back, not letting go of me to get out of the car, or the entire ride up in the elevator.

"Why don't you shower, and I'll get this cleaned up?" I offer when we're safely inside his penthouse.

"You sure? Do you need help with that?"

I shake my head. "I'm good."

He kisses me briefly on the lips before disappearing down the hall. A few minutes later, I hear the shower water running.

He must still be in shock, I think to myself. He's acting far too normal for a man who just lost his father.

I find the first aid kit, treat, and properly dress the cut on my hand. It's long, stretching all the way across my palm, but it's not deep. It'll heal in no time.

By the time I've finished, Damian steps out of the bathroom—hair still a bit damp and wearing nothing but a towel hitched low on his hips.

His eyes darken when our gazes meet and the look he gives me goes straight to my crotch. Damian strides quickly across the bedroom and plants his lips on mine in a frenzied kiss. His weight on the bed tips the first aid kit onto the floor.

"Leave it," he says against my lips when I start to pull away.

Damian lifts me further onto the bed and hovers over me. When he breaks our kiss, both of us breathing heavily, he looks wary.

I reach up with my good hand and pull at his hip, lifting my own to grind against him.

"I want you."

I don't have to tell him twice.

I need this. I need to feel Damian's hands all over me and forget all about his father's. I need him to f*ck me so hard, I forget everything expect the two of us, in this moment.

And that he does. Clothes and Damian's damp towel join the contents of the first aid kit on the floor and Damian wastes no time giving me exactly what I need from him.

He never tires. My first orgasm hits me like freight train out of nowhere and tears through me as I scream his name for the whole building to hear.

He never stops pounding into me. I've moved so far up the bed, I have to brace my hand on the headboard so my head doesn't continuously smash against it.

He dominates my mouth with his and moves one hand between us, his thumb applying a delirious pressure to my clit as he moves in and out of me event faster.

"I'm right there, Cherry. Cum for me," he whispers directly into my ear and it does me in for a second time. We cum hard, together, moaning each others' names.

"Oh my god," I says breathlessly when Damian shifts off of me and maneuvers us onto our sides.

He strokes my hair and watches me intently. I can tell there's something he wants to say.

"What is it?" I ask him. He smiles softly and turn onto his back, one arm behind his head and the other around me, keeping me glued to his side.

"What do you think about getting married?"

I lift myself up onto my elbow and look at him. "Us?"

He laughs. "Yes, Cherry. Us. Married. You're the one that suggested it tonight."

That's what he remembers from tonight?

"I didn't suggest it, I..." I trail off. What's the point. I planted the seed and I should've known it'd grow rapidly into a must-have. I lay a hand on his chest and he looks at me.

"Day, you're probably still in shock. Tonight might not be the right time to be making decisions like this. Let's go to sleep and talk about this tomorrow when our mind's are clear."

"My mind feels clearer than it's ever been. I want you to have our child."

I frown, now. He's delirious.

"Damian, stop," I say, this time much harsher. "Listen to yourself."

He props himself up on his elbow now too, so we're eye-to-eye again.

"I am listening to myself. I'm not messing with you, Cherry. I want this. I've wanted this for a long time."

"Then why are we just talking about it now?" I challenge.

"Because I was terrified tonight when I walked out on you and my dad like that. I was careless, I could have lost you—"

"I was fine. He wouldn't have gone through with it. He wouldn't have killed me."

"You don't really know that," Damian says with a shake of his head. "Seeing you terrified and hurt like that, it just solidifies all this. I want a family with you. What better time than right now?"

I sigh heavily and run a hand through my hair.

"Damian, marriage is one thing—sure, let's get married. I want that, of course. But a kid? In this mess? No way. Not over my dead body."

Damian takes my hand and kisses it. "Don't joke like that."

He's not hearing me.

I pull my hand from him. "I'm not joking. Listen to me. We can't bring a kid into this. Think about it. Think about tonight. Everyone knows who I am now. Just because your dad's dead doesn't mean the threat is gone. I'm a target, and with some training and some guards, I can take care of myself. But a kid? Completely defenceless! It just doesn't make sense for us."

Damian stares at me for a long time. "We used to talk about having kids all the time. You've aways wanted kids of your own. What's changed?"

"Ugh!" I yell. "You're not listening to me!" I throw my legs over the side of the bed and cross the room to the closet, throwing on one of Damian's oversized t-shirts.

Damian watches me from the bed and when I head for the door, he sits up.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm sleeping in the spare room tonight. You're in shock, we probably both are. This isn't the right time to be having this conversation. We'll talk in the morning."

I open the door and hear Damian coming after me as I step out. I turn and point at him, trying to look as stern as possible.

"No, Day. This is not the time to chase after me. Go to sleep, we'll talk in the morning."

I close the door behind me and this time, he doesn't follow. I slip between the cold sheets in the spare room and though I have the urge to cry myself to sleep, no tears come.