Chapter 4: The On-Coming Apocalypse

Cary's P.O.V.

It was a dark and stormy night, but not really... It was a bright and humid day in freaking Florida for crying out loud. I was sitting in my room talking with Patton about... Well, everything about my past, when Thomas summoned me into the living room.

I rose up into my space between Virgil and Roman, my hair flipping over into my face. I heard a quiet laugh from my right, and to be honest, it was an adorable sound. Where did that thought come from?

I flipped my hair back, fixed my beanie, and laughed quite a bit. I looked around the room, Patton's already here? That was pretty quick! "What brings me here, Thomas?"

"Well, Comedy, er- Trip, it's awfully complicated..." The rest of Thomas's explanation was drowned out by the bickering of the other sides.

No one else bothered to answer me, but Roman and Virgil continued to argue back and forth, with me stuck in the middle of it... literally. "HEY! Stop arguing and calm down your freaking eggos! I would appreciate it if anyone would tell me what is going on!"

Logan looked very confused by my exclamation. Virgil decide to explain to me the issue. "Thomas was a bad friend, that's what happened."

Roman glared at him, "Would you quit saying that?" That set everyone off again. "I'm sorry, it's just that this senseless bickering never gets us anywhere."

A bad friend? What is going on? Old memories started to surface but I pushed them down forcefully. I don't need to deal with that right now.

I came back to the present, with Patton suggesting a solution. "You could always lie to Joan, and they would never know!" Woah woah woah, what is going on? This doesn't sound like Patton!

Oh! That's right, Thomas was supposed to go to Joan's read-through, but he was hanging out with Angelica, and forgot about it completely. That must be what all of this is about...

"Lie? Patton, I'm surprised at you!" I said. Why was he saying that? My thoughts started going to a bad place but I pulled it back in time. "What do you mean lie? Thomas isn't like that."

"There was a philosopher named Kant–" Patton started, but Thomas cut him off.

"WOAH! Goodnight everybody!" Thomas then tried to shut off the camera, but he was stopped.

"No, Immanuel Kant... K-A-N-T, he believed that no one should lie, ever. Someone proposed to him a scenario, what if a known murderer came to your house, wanting to know the location of one of your friends, should you tell him?"

Thomas freaked out, which in turn, freaked me and Virgil out. "NO! Not Joan!" Roman and Logan tried to call him down. "JOAN!!!"

"Well, he sure is attached to his friends." Logan muttered.

Patton continued, "Kant's response? Yeppers! You should not be held accountable for the actions of the murderer. Do you still agree with Kant?"

Logan looked at Patton, "I'm surprised, you're quoting famous philosophers?"

"Well, I'm Morality! I gotta know my stuff!"

Virgil chimed in, "But you've said before that lying was wrong."

"I know that I've said that in the past, but it's the best thing to do in this situation. I mean, Thomas, you wouldn't want Joan mad at you, would you? We just need to set the stage."

Wait, he wants Thomas to lie to them, and now Patton is guilt tripping him like a Jewish mother, and I should know! My old host has one! This isn't Patton...