Twelve

Stoick and Gobber trudged through the dense forest together as they headed to the discreet cove that held his son and the most feared dragon of all who was holding his boy captive. According to them, that is.

In Stoicks hand that would normally wield his large and dangerous hammer, was in place a new basket filled with food and clothing and some items from his and his sons home for comfort. Yes he had used a rucksack the other day, but it didn't get returned and all the others were full and holding something or other, so if left the chief with no choice but to use a picnic basket.

In any other case, Stoick would feel a tad bit (okay maybe a lot bit) embarrassed for carrying around a basket that was built for picnics around the village. But this time he felt no shame as he carried it with an important duty.

    The chief of Berk grumbled and cursed as they headed deeper and deeper into the forest. "I'm going to kill that demon for taking my son. Once Hiccup gets to this-" he jostled the basket slightly "-and takes the clothing out to change and be forced to be separated from that beast, I'll kill it and bring Hiccup back and keep an eye on him. Thor, I might even tie him to my waist to keep him in my sight and to prevent him from running off again!"

Gobber sighed in exasperation and opened his mouth to say something to his friend, but was cut off "damned devil. Keeping my son as a toy for its sick pleasures..." Stoick muttered some colorful words under his breath. Again Gobber sighed "Stoick, this may be impossible, but be thankful for it." The chief rounded as quickly as he could to face Gobber with pure rage "how DARE you say that, Gobber! That's my son who is being used as a toy by a ******* Night Fury!" He yelled.

Shaking his head with an annoyed expression, Gobber held his hand up to silence the male "I don't mean it like that, Stoick. What I mean is that you should be grateful that the beast didn't tear the lad to shreds on sight! Odin knows why or how, but he spared young Hiccup. To which we have to be thankful for." Again Stoick muttered and cursed, completely ignoring the blacksmith.

Said man sighed for what felt like the hundredth time and shook his head. He was confused about something that also made him upset.

Never in seven years had Stoick the Vast truly noticed or cared or loved Hiccup, and yet here he is, carrying a dainty basket into the woods to his son who had managed to become a dragons treasure.

As questions gnawed at the old blacksmith, Gobber gave into his curiosity and had to ask what this truly was all about. But the answer he got made Gobber want to punch his chief.

Stoick sighed "I've been talking with another tribe in efforts to try to strengthen our connections and get a trade going. And in order to do so, Hiccup will have to marry their youngest child who is their only daughter." Gobber frowned and had to hold back from telling Stoick off "so, in a month he will be going to their island to adapt to their ways and customs and get used to his new home. He will be living there from now on."

Oh that just about did it.

"How could you, Stoick?! Hiccup is your only son and heir! If he goes to live at some random island just for trade, which I know is your only true reason for this, you will have to make Snotlout your new heir! And that boy is more idiotic than a yak and will destroy us!" He argued "I know Hiccup is a bit of a trouble maker, but the boy is just a child who needs guidance and how to be trained correctly and he showed love!"

The chief of Berk scowled "and that is all I have done! And yet he destroys our island more than the actual beasts, as well as get others in danger! He is not fit to be the next chief, Gobber, and you should know that better than anyone else - besides myself."

Without even a seconds thought, Gobber slugged the man hard enough to make his fall over "you are an idiot, Stoick! If this is about Hiccup being, well, a hiccup, then you are more than a fool than I thought!" He exclaimed "Hiccup would not be the first Hiccup to ever rule our tribe. There were two others before him who had ruled over Berk with pride and had lead us to victory!"

Getting to his feet, Stoick was red in the face in outrage. He could not believe his friend would yell at him and call him out. Granted it was true that the third reason for Hiccups arranged marriage was about him being a runt, but that did not excuse Gobbers tongue and actions towards him.

"I will not stand by your side any longer, Stoick. You disgust me."

And with that, Gobber snatched the basket from Stoick and wobbled towards the cove after telling the man to leave and to not return to the cove.

Words: 892
Date: February 2, 2020
Status: unedited and ongoing
Comment: eh, not my favorite, but whatever. Hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading!!