Chapter 1- Josie ( EDITED )

Today's March first, when I finally move into my new place far away from home. It'll be my first time living independently without anyone in my ear telling me what I can or cannot do. It'll also be the first time not having anyone watching my every move, assuming I'm about to do something stupid again. Although, after what I did two years ago and seeing where it landed me, I would hope I'd be smart enough never to do something so stupid as what I did.

As we left San Antonio's airport for Bandera, I couldn't stop thinking about how I'll be over four thousand miles away from home, with no friends or family in the area. And because of that, my parents thought they'd fly to Texas with me to help get me situated and to see where I chose to live. Before leaving Alaska, I'll admit, I was nervous about moving away from the only state I'd ever known and how far I'd be away from my parents. So, when my father came to me, informing me they were flying along, I had no problem with it, as I didn't want them worrying about me twenty-four-seven and calling me every ten minutes to see how I was doing and asking if I'm okay.

On the way to Bandera, I was too excited to stare at the directions on my phone and wanted to focus more on seeing what Texas looked like. So I sat in the backseat, looking out the window, while my mother directed my father on where to go. With all my father's money, we never traveled outside of Alaska. Of course, he did, but we, as a family, didn't. So you could say I was more excited about seeing another part of the world than giving directions.

While looking out the window and watching the world go by, I started daydreaming about the kind of people I'd meet and who'd be coming in at the diner in town where I had been hired. After everything I read about the city of Bandera and the type of people living there, I hoped it to all be true.

My beating heart rapidly gained speed when I saw the sign welcoming us to Bandera, the cowboy capital of the world, and heard my father groaning. "Really, Josie? You chose to move to a town full of cowboys?"

I had a feeling that was the reaction I would get from him. But I didn't care. Wanting to move here is what I wanted, and whether he likes it or not, I'm here to meet a real cowboy, with hopes of making one mine. I giggled after hearing him groan again, then smiled. "Yes, father, what's so wrong with that?"

"Apparently nothing in your eyes, but in my eyes, I see trouble," he growled.

I removed my seatbelt, sat at the edge of the seat, then rested my elbows on each of the two front seats while looking at my father. "Trouble? Why do you say that?"

"Cowboys, Josie? Every one of them is trouble. They're always drinking, partying, and fighting."

I shook my head, then nudged him. "No, they're not. From what I've read, they're all hard workers. And because this is a smaller town, there's very little crime, and they know everyone. So stop being so judgmental."

"I'm not being judgemental; I'm only telling it like it is."

I rolled my eyes, and instead of responding and causing an argument, I sat back in my seat and remained quiet until my father pulled up to the house he and I found online. He opened the door, quickly stepped out, and looked around, studying everyone working in their yards while stretching. As I exited the vehicle, the front door to my rented house opened, and a woman came out, giving us a welcoming smile as she headed toward us. Her hand extended toward me. "Howdy, you must be Josie Winchester?"

Shaking her hand with a smile, I said, "I am. And you must be Callie."

"I am, and these are your parents, I presume?" She asked, turning and shaking both of my parent's hands.

"Yes, this is my father, Daniel, and my mother, Tess."

"Why don't you come inside and look around? And if it's to your liking, we'll review the rental agreement. Sound good?"