Chapter 3- Josie ( EDITED )

Out of all the cowboys I've met so far, I must say the one I'm most curious about and interested in getting to know is the guy I embarrassed myself in front of the night before. There's something about the guy that has me feeling all giddy inside just from looking at him.

However, there's one problem. I have no idea if he's available after Jack told me he stays far away from women. So because it was a small town with everyone most likely knowing one another, I decided to end my curiosity by asking Natalie what she knew about him.

"Do you know that guy that just left?"

"Yes, what about him?" she asked, smiling widely.

"Do you know him?"

She continued smiling, and then she giggled. "I do. His name is Jesse, and I know him very well. Why?"

"You do?" I excitedly asked, handing a ticket to the cook. "Do you happen to know if he's single?"

She lifted a shoulder while saying, "Well, if you were to ask him, he'd say he's married. But as his sister, I can tell you he's pretty much single."

Even though she made a point to say he's single, I didn't like the first part of her response, and it had me bummed. Why would he say he's married if he isn't? "Married and pretty much single? That doesn't sound promising," I pouted. "Are there any more like him here? Because all I've seen since coming here is either not my type, taken, or just blah," I said, sticking out my tongue.

Natalie laughed, then smiled. "Oh, girl... there are plenty of cowboys here, if that's what you're looking for. But if it's my brother you have the hots for; I want you to know I freaking love it. But I also have to tell you; he's one very stubborn asshole. Don't get me wrong; I love him dearly; he's a good man, and he has a heart of gold, but he's as stubborn as a mule and refuses to move on with his life," she enlightened. "But if you're dead set on getting to know Jesse, then the best thing I can suggest to you is for you to work whatever magic you have within you to get him to notice ya."

I tried getting as much information as I could from Natalie about Jesse, but she wouldn't tell me much more than she already did, saying she couldn't speak for him. So the little I learned about him tells me there's more to his story than him just being one stubborn cowboy.

When Jack asked if he could take me out, I noticed how Jesse glared at him like he was when Jack ordered his food, and it had me wondering if there was some sort of rift between them or if it was because he asked me out. So, curious to see what Jesse would say, I asked if he'd be coming along; I got the hint he wasn't fond of Jack when he adamantly said no.

Thirty minutes. That's how late Jack is from picking me up from the diner. I looked at my watch. And then at the street to see if anyone was pulling up to park, and nothing. So, thinking he had forgotten or changed his mind, I started walking home. Within seconds, I heard a vehicle honking and turned around.

Jack hung his head out the open window, saying, "Don't you be going anywhere, pretty lady; I'm here now."

He pulled to the side of the road, stopped, then waved his hand, wanting me to come to him. "Come on, now. Nobody's coming," he shouted. As I approached, he grinned, then flashed me a bouquet. "I'm sorry I'm late. But I stopped to get you these," he said, handing the flowers to me.

It had been a while since someone gave me flowers, and I thought it was a sweet gesture for him, but I didn't feel right taking flowers from a man I wasn't interested in. "You didn't have to get me those."

"I know I didn't. But I wanted to." He held the flowers closer to me. "Come on, take them," he grinned.

I took the bouquet from him and smiled. "Thanks."