--5--

Zak

"Zak! A letter has arrived for you!" Zak hears his mother call down the hallway to him, her voice echoing off the nearly empty walls, void of paintings or anything worth noting at all. Zak flinched at the sound of the shrill echo, raising his head up from his studies. 

He rose from his chair, sighing to himself quietly. He knew better than to speak out against her when his father was home, so he just kept his mouth shut as he walked out of his room and over to her, taking the letter from her hands. Upon seeing the wax seal has been peeled, Zak inhales sharply, glaring at his mother. "You read a letter addressed to me?"

She looked at him, clearly guilty, which only seemed to make Zak more angry. "Well...yes, but only because I wanted to make sure it wasn't something bad! Which it isn't, I'll have you know." Her sentence finished with an excited hum, and Zak was suddenly too curious to keep angry about it.

He simply walked away from her, envelope in his hands, flipping it over to read who the sender was. He shut the door to his bedroom with a heavy thud, kicking up a cloud of dust as he sat down at his desk. The letter was sent by, wrote in far too fancy cursive,

Your Secret Admirer...Darryl Noveschosch

Zak chuckled despite himself at that, pulling out the paper and squinting to read Darryl's handwriting.

My Dearest Zak,

I'd like to invite you to take a late night walk with me around the city, and I will of course pick you up and pay for your carriage ride. I hope that you will be ready for me on the 2nd, at 9 PM. I am excited to see you again and know that you will look just as spectacular. I thank you in advance for accompanying me.

Yours in perpetuity,

Darryl 

Zak laughed at how...un-Darryl-like it sounded, far too formal, from which Zak assumed was nervousness or habit. He wasn't quite sure why, but he felt like he knew Darryl already, like they'd known each other something more like...months or years, than just a few days now. The boy had been nothing but nice to him when Zak had been, let's just say, less than friendly to him.

He trusted him.

So he'd be ready on the 2nd. At 9 PM. And he'd be lying if he said he wasn't at least a bit excited for it.

(Note: This is just a plot development chapter so I could get something out there, but next one will be a very important chapter, so stay tuned!!)