--10--

Zak

3 years later

Zak was sitting in a chair on his front deck, which had recently been delicately painted with individual flower decals, slithering around the white wood like vines. A light breeze blew by as he stared out over the horizon, smiling softly to himself. It hadn't been this peaceful in his life until after he married Darryl. He had expected his life to immediately branch into something totally new, a rich and fancy lifestyle where he'd have to adapt to a new attitude towards people and life itself.

But it didn't.

He had surely gotten a lot more money, that he wouldn't deny. But he didn't have to change it all. If anything, he could be even more himself now. He had swiftly moved after marriage, ripping himself far from the hostile environment he had previously been in. Now life felt warm and safe when it used to feel...terrifying, with every moment being risky.

Darryl was good to him. He would help him make breakfast every morning, wake him up with gentle kisses and sometimes a warm cup of tea...and most of all he really listened. Zak never had any reason to doubt he was purely and fully loved. He hoped he could do the same for Darryl.

Darryl

Zak was Darryl's escape. That breath of fresh air after hours of being underwater, struggling to breathe. He had no idea something this amazing could happen to him. He never realized how much he was trapped before he saw freedom.

And once he did, there was no going back.

Every day with Zak was a blessing for him. The absolutely unwavering love and loyalty he felt for him was indescribable, only represented in the soft brush of lips and lingering touches left throughout the day. There was nothing that could be more important than this.

This moment.

This day.

This life.

This boy.

Darryl smiled softly as he heard Zak walk inside, his light footsteps echoing on the floorboards. He looked up, ready to greet Zak with a kiss. 

"Hey," Zak murmured, sleepiness mingled with happiness in his tone. 

"Hey," Darryl whispered back.

Yeah. This was enough.

THE END