Chapter I: Telepathy

It was a cold day, the air smelled of mildew and grass. You could feel the storm that was brewing in the clouds. It was a beautiful day. Practically perfect for nature spells. After showering, I slipped on a green sweater and a pair of jeans. I brushed my hair and pulled on a pair of black flats. I checked the time and saw that I was running a little behind schedule. I brushed my teeth as I pulled my black, long hair into a pony tail. I spit out the toothpaste and quickly rinsed off the toothbrush. I grabbed my bag and ran downstairs to the dinning hall.

"Last one to the dinning hall again, Marie," my best friend, Gracie said.

  "Well I have to uphold my reputation, Gracie," I responded, grabbing an apple from the table. "I'm going to head to the herbology garden, catch up on some studying."

  "Well don't be late to class, again."

  I took a bite out of my apple and rolled my eyes before walking to the garden.

An hour into my studying, I heard someone humming in the garden. I tried to ignore it until the person came over and stood over me.

"Cramming for the Necromancy test I see," a familiar voice said to me.

"Why would I have to do that when I can just cheat off of you," I said, not looking up at my book, smiling. "Ambrose."

"How do you know I didn't study?"

"Because that's just not like you, Spellman," I said, closing my book and looking up at the tall figure.

I always thought Ambrose was attractive. When I got bored in class I would just stare at his toned arms and end up sketching them in my notebook.

Ambrose chuckled and looked down at the ground.

"I mean after all, Spellman," I said, standing up from the bench I sat upon. "You're practically perfect."

  I walked away towards my Telepathy class, leaving Ambrose behind.

  "Today, young witches and warlocks," our Telepathy teacher, Professor Jameson, said. "We will be working on diving deep into your partner's mind. But I must warn you, young ones, dive too deep and you might just get stuck there. Now, you were given your year long partners at the start of this year, so partner up and get to work."

  I watched as Ambrose walked among the moving students and to my table.

  "We meet again," Ambrose said, sitting down.

  "Unfortunately," I responded, raising my left eyebrow. "Let's just get this over with."

  Ambrose took my hands and looked deep into my eyes. After a few minutes he chuckled.

"What is it Spellman," I asked him.

"I found a dream of me," he said. "Do I actually look that good naked?"

"I swear to Satan."

"The innocent Marie Atkinson is not a virgin," Ambrose exclaimed louder than he should have. "And you lost it to Benjamin Kinkle, a witch hunter. Does he even know what you are?"

  "I mean he's dead so why would it matter?"

Then I saw Ambrose's joyful expression drop completely. He saw the one thing I didn't want him to see.

"Your family," he started. "I'm-"

I dropped Ambrose's hands, taking him out of my mind. I wiped a tear off my cheek and grabbed my bag, walking out of class.