Chapter II: Comfort

I walked quickly into the hallway, tears streaming down my face. I dropped my bag to the floor and paced back and forth.

"Marie," Ambrose said walking over to me.

"Go away, Spellman," I said, still pacing.

"I-I'm sorry Marie. I didn't mean to dive that deep. Marie, what I-I saw, your parents. I would never wish that upon someone."

"Just leave me alone, please."

I walked to my dorm and decided to take a shower. I waited for the temperature to get hot before stepping in. When I closed my eyes everything from that night came rushing back.

Flashback

  It was a quiet night and I was only nine at the time. My parents and I were in the living room, each of us reading our own book. I saw my parents look at each other in confusion and then stand up. The next thing I knew the door was busted open by two men holding crossbows.

  "Volvit virgo invisibil vertit," my mother said casting an invisibility spell on me.

  "Where is your coven," one witch hunter shouted.

  "We would never give that to you," my father said, stepping in front of my mother to protect her.

"Then I guess we'll just have to torture it out of you," the other witch hunter said.

For two hours I watched as my parents, were cut, shot, slashed at, and went through pain. Then I saw one of the witch hunters slash my father's neck.

"Run, Marie, run," my mother shouted.

I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. I ran to my grandmothers house and as soon as I got through the front door, I collapsed.

Present Day

I was on the floor of the shower, tears running down my face. I took a few deep breaths and stood up. I turned off the water and stepped out.

  "Marie," Ambrose called out walking in.

  "Ambrose," I shouted trying to cover myself up, causing him to turn around. "Do you not know how to knock?"

  I wrapped a towel around my body to properly cover my body.

  "You can turn around," I huffed.

"Look, Marie, I just came to talk about earlier," Ambrose said, after he turned around.

"Just forget about it, Ambrose."

"The same happened to me when I was a young warlock. A witch hunter killed my father, one of the worst things I ever experienced."

  "Spellman, I'm sorry, I really am but if you think-"

  "I'm not thinking anything Atkinson, I'm just trying to sympathize."

  "I'm not looking for a sympathizer, Spellman."

"I'm just-"

"Can you just get out, Ambrose?"

Ambrose sighed and turned around. He put his hand on the door and hesitated before leaving.

I sighed and looked in the mirror.

'Remember you can't get too close to anyone,' I reminded myself.

I slipped on a black turtleneck and put on black and red plaid dress over it. I stepped into a pair of black heels. I performed a spell on my hair so it would dry and I brushed out the knots.

I walked down to the dining hall for lunch.

"Hey are you okay, you missed Demonology," Ingrid, another one of my friends, asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I responded, taking a sip of water.

"I noticed Spellman was gone at the same time and you're not wearing the same outfit from this morning," Gracie said, hinting to something completely different from what happened.

  "Get your head out of the gutter, Gracie. I just needed to take a shower and I have no idea why Spellman wasn't in class," I said.