Chapter IV: Sketch Book

"Sweetwater River," Ambrose said, coming up behind me as I sat outside of my grandmother's home, drawing in my sketchbook. It was the weekend and on weekends I would come home and spend them with my grandmother. "You and me. A picnic. Tomorrow at midnight."

"Spellman, when I said I would let you in, that didn't mean I was looking for a romantic relationship," I said. That was a lie, I knew it was a lie but I couldn't let anyone else know that.

"Who said it was a romantic thing in the first place?"

  "Well, most people go to Sweetwater to lose their virginity or tell someone they love them, so I just assumed."

  "Did you know it's bad to assume? It permanently damages the soul."

  "You sound stupid," I said continuing to sketch.

  "What is it that you're drawing anyways," Ambrose asked.

  "Nothing," I said slamming my book shut with my thumb still on the page I was drawing.

  "Come on, Atkinson just let me see."

  "No."

  "Please."

  "No."

  Ambrose performed a duplication spell of my sketch book and picked up the duplicate that fell from the original.

  "What the Heaven, that's not fair," I said standing up trying to grab the book from him, but since Ambrose was quite taller than I was, he easily pushed me away. "Ambrose.."

  "If you let me look through this you don't have to go tomorrow," he said, looking at me.

  "What, no."

  "Then just the sketch you were just drawing?"

  I took a deep breath.

  "Fine," I muttered out. Ambrose flipped to the page and looked mesmerized by it.

  "Marie, this is," he muttered. "She's beautiful, she looks familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it."

  "She's my mother. My mother was the most beautiful person in the world to me and she was ripped away in just a few minutes."

  "You look just like her."

  Ambrose and I stood there for a few moments, looking at each other before my grandmother called out for me.

  "I'll uh, I'll see you at Sweetwater River tomorrow," Ambrose said before leaving.

  "Mhm," I responded before walking inside.

  The next night I was getting ready to go to down to Sweetwater. After showering, I slipped on a black turtleneck and a short red plaid skirt. I let my long, black hair be in it's natural state of straight. I slipped on black heels and looked in my mirror on the wall. I put on the necklace I wear everyday, a diamond infinity loop. I sat down at my vanity and applied light makeup. I danced around my room, listening to the light music playing in the background, holding my familiar, Beast, a miniature Coonhound.

"Marie," my grandmother called from downstairs. I put Beast down and walked downstairs.

"Yes," I asked her.

  "Shouldn't you get going?"

  "Grandma, it's only 11:30."

  "I know. I'm just so excited for you. This is the first time you've gone out with a boy since Benjamin."

"Grandma, it's not a date."

"I know, I'm just so excited."

  I smiled at her. I loved my grandma so much, she meant the world to me. If I lost her I would have no one.

  "You keep saying that," I laughed.