Chapter 2 - Friendships

For the last two weeks, me, Martina, Dylan, Hardin, Becky and Marcus hung out almost every day. And in such a short amount of time, we are already very close. We make simple plans in the afternoon, but we also have dinner and party at night. There are a lot of parties here, not only in bars and clubs but also in student dorms. The night life is very active here, just as I like.

Today we're having dinner at Dylan's place. He lives at Kornoeljestraat and his dorm is quite spacious with 311 rooms, but since it's got eleven floors, doesn't look that large on the inside.

In this dorm, each floor has its own common room and kitchen. So, when we go to Dylan's dorm, we always hang out in the common room on his floor. The common room has a door connecting to the kitchen and balcony that's as large as the common room, and the kitchen combined.

Our group decided to do something more relaxed today because we've been going out almost every day, and most of us have classes on Thursday, which is tomorrow. So we are having some pizza and drinking beer. It's just us in the common room and Hardin hasn't arrived yet.

"You still don't have a roommate, Marcus?"  Dylan's sitting at the table and asks as he bites into his slice of pepperoni pizza.

Marcus is the only one in our group with a shared room, and I am the only one with a studio apartment. Everyone else has a single room, but with no bathroom. I can't imagine how they can live with a bathroom that's shared with all the other students on their floor, but this is how they live.

"Not yet! Well, maybe the other guy dropped out and it'll just be myself. I'd really like to have a roommate, I don't particularly like being by myself."  Marcus is on the couch, eating a slice of pizza.

"I love being on my own, I'm free enough to do whatever I want without a second person bugging me,"  I reply. 

Marcus continues, "I mean, I also don't mind having a room to myself. It makes it much easier to bring girls."  Him and Dylan share a look and giggle. "Still, I hope my buddy shows up. Well, changing the subject, are you guys coming to the party on our dorm on Saturday?"

"I'm coming, what time is it?"  I ask as I take a sip from my beer. I'm sitting on the couch next to Marcus and I'm stuffed with pizza, so I'm just drinking now.

"It's in the afternoon, so we can enjoy what's left of the Summer. Then it'll get darker sooner. It starts at two o'clock,"  answers Becky, who's sitting with Dylan at the table.

Hardin enters the common room and heads towards me to give me a kiss on the lips. Then he heads to the table to get a slice of pizza, and sits next to Becky. 

On the first day we hung out with the guys, just as I planned, we ended up making out at the club. It was easy, I kept locking eyes with him; I danced only with him and BAM; he kissed me.

After that, we didn't really talk about what we have, but Hardin's not much of a talker, anyway. And that's good, it's one of the things I like about him.

Ever since that day we've been texting, meeting, and he took the initiative of kissing me in front of our friends, and I'm okay with that. We don't have anything serious, we're just enjoying the moment while it lasts.

The truth is that boys have been a priority in my life since a long time ago. When I was twelve, I had platonic relationships with the boys from the soap opera I watched on television. I would also daydream about the oldest boy in my class, who had flunked twice, misbehave in class, and get the attention of all the girls. I've always thought that type of guy would never look at me, I was just a girl with nothing special about her.