Gwaine's Departure

The king's party made it back in record time. Gwen and Gaius were waiting on the steps when they both noticed Merlin nowhere in sight; Gaius was the first to ask.

"Sire, where is Merlin?" Gaius was hesitant as the king slightly glared at him.

"We should talk inside Gaius," voice breaking no room for argument.

"Of course, sire," bowing his head before following after his king. Everyone walked in silence until they made it to Arthur's chambers. Once the door was bolted, Arthur turned to Gaius.

"Did you know Gaius?" voice clipped in an effort to restrain himself.

"Did I know what sire, what does this have to do with Merlin?" worried for his ward could have done.

" Did you know that Merlin had Magic, Gaius?" Gaius froze, bowing his head in defeat, sitting slowly down in one of the seats in the room.

"Yes, I did know. I'm assuming I won't see Merlin again." Gaius' voice threatening to break as it was said as a statement, not a question.

"You would be correct Gaius, I hope I don't have to exile you as well." Gaius meekly nodded his head, mind preoccupied about losing as close to a son as he will ever have.

Gwaine was silent during the exchange, trying to rein back his anger at Arthur. Once Arthur dismissed everyone, he headed to the training field to attack some dummies. By the time the sun began to set there wasn't a dummy that wasn't in splinters. Gwaine was walking back to the knight's wing when something pulled on the back of his mind. Pulling it to the front, he waited and listened.

"Hello, Gwaine." a familiar voice called out in his mind, Gwaine could practically picture Merlin smirking.

" Merlin! How the hell are you doing this?" he thought, excited about getting to speak to his first true friend again.

"Magic. I could use your help. Can you meet me at the border of the Perilous lands?" Merlin sounded worried and that was all Gwaine needed before readily agreeing.

"Of course Merlin, I'm not so close-minded as the princess." Merlin laughed in Gwaine's head. He had never been so happy to hear his friend's laugh.

"Great, if you leave in the morning you should reach it around mid-day overmorrow," his voice more confident knowing Gwaine was coming.

"Tomorrow it is." Smiling before Merlin cut the connection leaving his mind once more empty.

Gwaine left at dawn, leaving a note saying he was going to find Merlin for Gaius. For hours Gwaine contemplated how Merlin was doing and why he would go to the Perilous lands of all places. Gwaine's thoughts drifted to Arthur, he didn't feel like coming back to serve Arthur, especially since the only reason he really became a knight of Camelot was for Merlin. By the time Gwaine reached the bridge the sun was high in the sky. The dwarf was standing there like last time.

"Strength has arrived for Magic. He is expecting you. Better not be late." Disappearing before finishing his last word. Gwaine walked to the other side of the bridge where the scenery had changed from desert to a lush green forest. Gwaine wondered if it was Merlin. It would be a very "Merlin" thing to do; restoring a whole kingdom. Gwaine was pulled from his musings when he felt a pull to the north. He decided it was most likely Merlin, sp he followed the invisible path.

When he could start to see a magnificent castle, Gwaine knew Merlin had to of done it. Gwaine had never seen a kingdom look so magical. Gwaine thought it was an interesting choice of living for Merlin. Gwaine reached the castle where he saw Merlin rushing down the stairs before locking him into a bone-crushing hug.

"If I knew you missed me this much I would have come sooner." Chuckling at his friend's antics.

"Sorry, but it's been kind of lonely here, no one else has arrived yet. I've been stuck with Grettir." slightly breathless from running from the other side of the castle.

"I heard that Emrys!" Grettir yelled without appearing. Merlin and Gwaine laughed finally pulling apart.

"I see what you mean, but why come here?" finding Merlin's choice of stay intriguing.

"Oh, that's a bit of a story," mumbled Merlin not sure how to start.

"We have time." reassuring his friend he wasn't going anywhere.

So Merlin recounted his tale of running to the Valley of Fallen Kings, meeting Taliesin, looking into the future from the crystal cave, and finding out about his ancestry. He told him of his journey and how he truly accepted he was to be the King of Magic according to Grettir. By the end, Gwaine didn't know what to say to his friend and settled for whistling and asking for a drink.