Key?

The dawn saw Merlin and Gwaine packing for their trip. They had said their farewells to Kilgharrah and Merlin's mother the night before in order to leave quickly. They were just about to leave when Iseldir approached Merlin.

"Emrys, The Great Dragon alerted me of your plans. You will need this piece of the key in the future." Iseldir handed it to Merlin.

"What is it?" turning it over in his hand to inspect it.

"It is a part of the triskelion, there are three pieces. The druids were given a piece to safeguard, be wary Emrys the triskelion is not only a key... but a trap." ominous warning taking Merlin off-guard. He didn't know why with everything he saved Arthur from in the past, he should be used to them.

"Thank you for your help, I'll keep in mind your warning." Iseldir bowed and left as Gwaine took his place.

"Well, now what? We have to find the other two pieces before we can get there." pouting at the turn of events. Merlin rolled his eyes at Gwaine's dramatics.

"I could try a tracking spell Grettir showed me a few days ago. Now that we have a part of it, I know what signs to look for." mentally bringing the spell to the front of his mind.

"Alright what do you need?"

"Our map." Gwaine stepped towards the pouches resting of the horses before pulling out the map of the five kingdoms. Merlin placed the triskelion on top of the map before chanting in the old religion. When finished he removed the piece and looked as three silver dots are shown on the map. The first showed the one they had, while the second was on the move, apparently, someone had already found it and the third was in Camelot. Dread filled Merlin at the thought of going back. Gwaine looked up from the map to see Merlin looking green.

"Merlin mate, if we split up, I could go to Camelot and you can get the other," Merlin didn't answer for several seconds before relief showed in his eyes.

"Thanks, Gwaine it might be best. The sooner we find them the sooner we get back," Merlin didn't know how to show his gratitude towards Gwaine, but the look Gwaine gave Merlin told him he knew. "We'll meet in the forest off the entrance to the tomb. And don't get caught."

"You know me, Merlin." In mock offense.

"Yes, Gwaine I do know you, please be careful, we don't know what Arthur would do if he saw you." Gwaine's face turned serious to show Merlin he would be cautious.

"Alright Merlin, let's go." Merlin nodded before wishing Gwaine luck, building up momentum as he took to the sky, Gwaine following behind. The two split off in opposite directions Merlin going slightly north as Gwaine went south.

Merlin envied Gwaine a little, Gwaine wasn't banished, yet he still chose to forsake his vows as a knight of Camelot for him. He always was his best friend after Lancelot of course. Arthur was his friend, best friend even though neither would admit it. Merlin didn't regret saving Arthur's life only a fortnight ago, but he would always regret not telling him himself. Merlin's thoughts continued through most of the day, not all about Arthur, but mixed in with the occasional prayer for Gwaine. His thoughts halted as a town little bigger than a village appeared in the distance. Eclipse landed just shy of the ridgeline as Merlin hid her from view and walked the rest of the way.

As he walked, he held the map out as it pointed towards a pub. Merlin shook his head, of all places for a mystical ancient artifact to be it had to be a pub. Merlin entered and was accosted by the smell of mead and body sweat, he was just glad Gwaine wasn't here to get distracted. He sat and ordered a drink as to not look suspicious as he observed the room. Most were drunk out of their minds not caring how loud they were, which admittedly was a great tactic so as not to be overheard. He should know he's done it once or twice with lance. His heart ached at the reminder but shook the thoughts of as his line of sight caught two figures hunched over in the corner. He ducked his head and whispered a spell to hear what was said.