- Chapter 3 -

Waking up to sun rays on her pillow made Deb smile. She woke up and decided to lay in the bed for a few minutes longer. She was on vacation, she was in Turkey, and the hotel bed sheets smelled divinely. The warm summer sun made the gentle morning breeze blowing through the open window seem even more enchanting. She felt as if she was enveloped in the most precious embrace, one she had not felt since childhood. She smiled and looked up at the ceiling. And she giggled her way out of the covers. It was, after all, the morning of her birthday.

Deb walked to the window and moved the curtains away. She opened the window even wider. Then she closed her eyes and listened. Just listened. And she could not believe how harmonious all the sounds of the street sounded together. Birds chirping, cars passing by people shouting to greet one another with "Merhaba" here, "Günaydın" there. She leaned closer to the window and heard the hotel's doorman welcome the incoming guests with a warm "Hoşgeldiniz". "Hoşbulduk teşekkür ederim" she replied to him quietly as she smiled. Although she did not know how to speak Turkish, she knew her Turkish greetings. She giggled again and enjoyed the view of the city out of her window.

She heard music coming from the passing cars. Some of the music was in Turkish language, some of it was in English. She could not help but smile wider when she heard Tina Turner and Eros Ramazzotti sing in a duet "Cosas de la vida". Though the song spoke of love and longing, it also spoke of life's contradictions, emotions, and memories one gathers in their heart along the way. She sighed happily, capturing the memory of this moment. She just knew that she would be thinking of Istanbul long after her trip was over.

As the car with Tina and Eros sped away, a car pulled up by the hotel's entrance with "Felicita" blaring out of its speakers. Now Deb really laughed and twirled around in her bathrobe. Al Bano and Romina Power sure knew how to put that bit of and extra happiness in her step with their song. She decided to dance around the room a little since no one was watching, and she hummed the melody of "Felicita" long after the car drove away. While she danced, she gazed out the window. The city's atmosphere felt so vibrant. And so alive. She wondered if only Istanbul offered so much to its visitors, or if she was too busy to notice such sounds back at home.

She took in one last breath of fresh air, walked to the desk by the other window, and laughed in utter shock. The clock on the desk read half past 10:00. Though she was not that much of an early bird, she thought that she slept for only a few hours. Still, jet lag must have had the upper hand. Nevertheless, she felt refreshed and completely relaxed. She sat down on the bed and checked her phone. She saw a reply message from Margaret after she sent a photo of herself with the Maiden's Tower in the background. The reply was simple, and sounded just like Margaret: "Good, You deserve it!" Deb looked at the photo she chose to send to her best friend. She must have been still fighting the jet lag, because somehow in the night light she looked years younger in that photo. Years younger than she felt, and years younger than she was.

Deb then saw that Mutlu had called her. She returned her call and was glad that Mutlu picked up on her first try. They spoke briefly, and Mutlu advised her that she would pick her up in about an hour. Deb took a quick shower, dried her hair, put on an extra touch of make-up, and decided to wear a white summery dress. She sent a quick message to Margaret, and advised her that it appeared the birthday gal may end up visiting the Maiden's Tower after all. She felt jitters going down her spine as she typed that message. Margaret replied to her and advised her to enjoy her special day, and not to try anything she wouldn't have, which pretty much meant that all bets were off. As Deb was on her way out of the room, she paused by the mirror near the door. She could not help to notice how much happier she seemed compared to the reflection she saw in the mirror back home just a couple days before. She fluffed her hair, smiled to her own reflection, and went down to the lobby to wait for Mutlu.