- Chapter 5 -

Deb could have sworn she never felt more embarrassed in her life than when she felt as her tear-soaked hand touched the hand of the mystery man who prevented her from falling down the stairs. But she was wrong. What could have been worse than coming face to face with an abyss-deep dark-eyed stranger who made her weak in her knees, and making a total fool of herself? Finding out that she did so to someone who couldn't possibly be more out of her league. Embarrassing herself in front of a no-name stranger was one thing. But doing so in front of someone with public recognition? She all but swore at herself for going along with Margaret's suggestion to get on that plane to Istanbul in the first place.

Deb blinked at Mutlu, and narrowed her eyes on her. She did not know whether she should elbow her anyway, or ask her who the man that fried her brain circuits was. Since neither choice made sense at the moment, she decided it was better for her not to ask Mutlu for the man's identity. Why make matters worse? Instead, she wiped away the rest of her tears, dried her hand on the skirt of her dress, and straightened her back. She asked Mutlu for a few photographs of her by the mural of Hero and Leander as well as by the wall mounted sign describing the story of the beloveds. Mutlu raised her eyebrow seeing how coy Deb was about rubbing hands with the man who seemed intrigued by her. Cool and collected, wasn't she? Mutlu would just see about that. But, since Deb chose not to ask who the mystery man was, Mutlu smiled, kept the man's identity to herself, and obliged her. For now...

Since the mystery man continued his way up the stairs ahead of them, Deb chose not to look back at Mutlu once they resumed their climb to the top of the Tower. She also tried to pretend that she did not see Mutlu's mischievous smirk. Whoever the man was, it was best that she put some distance between them. She looked up the stairway, and realized he was gone. Good, she thought. He probably wished he never walked up the stairs behind her anyway. As they made it to the top level and entered the little cafe atop the Tower, Mutlu asked Deb to wait for a moment. Deb nodded, and saw that Mutlu walked up to the bar and greeted the bartender. Because Mutlu kept talking to the man who obviously knew her, Deb decided to step outside onto the terrace encircling the Tower. She took a few steps toward the railing, placed her hands on it, and closed her eyes. She let the breeze play with her hair, much as it did when she first set foot on the island. She kept her eyes closed. She had promised herself before leaving her home that she would take a moment to pause and take in the way she was feeling.

She felt happy, for the first time in a very long time. She felt grateful, and the gratitude came from the deepest part of her soul. She felt completely content with who she was - and that feeling made her smile without even realizing it. The bright sun was shining on her face and she could feel it embracing her skin. Though it was quite warm, she untied Mutlu's scarf wrapped around her waist, and wrapped it tight around her shoulders. She stood there for a few good minutes, not realizing that the same eyes that peered through to her soul on the stairway were now looking at her again. From a distance. Unable to look away...
As Mutlu joined Deb on the terrace, she advised her that their çay and table were waiting for them. Hearing Mutlu's voice Deb opened her eyes, smiled, and thanked her for yet another way to make her birthday even more special. The bartender that brought them the beverages smiled sincerely while he hugged Deb, and wished her "İyi ki doğdun". He also brought them two  glasses of wine. When Deb asked him what kind of wine it was, he smiled even wider, said it was the DLC Moskado Muskat white wine, and that it was on the house. He then left and returned with their salads that Mutlu ordered, and a big pile of fries. He asked Deb if there was anything else she may have desired for her birthday. Deb smiled at him, and said that if she were a brave girl, she would have asked for the lemon cheesecake. But, since she was not, she would just dream that she had eaten it, and would be grateful for just the salad and fries. The bartender winked at Deb, and went back behind the bar.