- Chapter 11 -

Getting back on the ground was something that proved to be no easy task. Deb first laughed at the idea of the balloon landing atop a platform of a slowly moving pickup car, but when Kader agreed with the pilot and informed her that this really was the way to land a balloon in Cappadocia, she stopped laughing. She wondered how come no one informed her about that part of the flight BEFORE they took off? Then again, no one did because she did not ask. So, she shook her head, and offered Kader a measured look. He winked at her and told her that the landing wasn't even the worst part. Sitting down on the floor in the balloon basket while they were about to land and blindly waiting for the hard thump when the balloon's basket hit its designated landing spot was. Then again, Kader soon realized that he was mistaken. The landing aspect wasn't scary, the look Deb offered him just now was.

As the balloon moved slowly near the ground once again, and was about to land on the rear end of the pickup, the pilot signaled for them to sit down. The moment they did, Deb's heart began to pound. Kader saw the expression on her face, and brought her close. He put his arms around her, and she turned to him right before they felt the impact of the balloon touching atop the pickup. The landing was hard and shook the basket, which only made her hold onto Kader more. He laughed but immediately cut it short when she shot him a look that warned him to watch his step. Or actions, for that matter.

When the pilot shouted a loud "Evet", she heard Ayaz's voice cheering the pilot's grand landing, and tried to get up. However, feeling the effects of the rush of emotions from the balloon's touching down, she had a hard time balancing her steps. Kader stood up first, and helped her up. The moment Ayaz saw them holding onto each other, he shouted and clapped his hands. Though she knew instantly what that meant, she pretended Ayaz's bravo's were meant for the pilot and their successful flight. A very successful flight, as Ayaz put it in own words.

Kader got out of the balloon first and helped her out of it. Deb had to admit that the strength in his arms impressed her. He set her down on the ground, walked up to Ayaz, and thanked him for the thrill of an experience he bestowed upon them. A private balloon ride certainly offered a different sense of feeling and memories than the one he had planned when he called his uncle the day before. Ayaz patted his back and told him that family was family, and his balloon was made for moments like this. Especially, like this. Though Deb did not hear that part, Kader did, and he understood exactly what Ayaz had in mind.

Deb laughed when Ayaz pulled out a champagne bottle with glasses, and suggested a toast to the lucky ones who made it back safely onto the ground. She took a few photos by the balloon with Kader, Ayaz, and the pilot, and made sure to capture the fact that the balloon really did land on a platform attached to Ayaz's pickup. She knew that it was something that would be hard to explain to Margaret. Ayaz saw what she was trying to do, and she explained that the last few photos were meant for Margaret. Ayaz surprised her and told her that the next time they were back in Cappadocia, he would make sure that Margaret would fly in his balloon as well.

After they returned to the hotel, they enjoyed a meal that Ayaz had arranged when he called the hotel to prepare for them. Though she had never heard of Menemen, the taste of it hit her taste buds in all the right places. The Turkish version of scrambled eggs, tomatoes, peppers, and spices sure left an impression on her. As they ate, she asked Kader if he had anything else planned for the day, or if she would be able to explore the area around the hotel a bit. He replied that they would take advantage of the beautiful weather and visit the Göreme Open Air Museum. After that, they would have time to do whatever they decided to do, and they would get back on the road tomorrow morning after breakfast. She told him that was fine, as long as the breakfast did not get served at 5:30 in the morning. He replied no. It would be served at 6:00. As they both laughed about it, Ayaz raised his eyebrows at their unspoken inside joke.