Chapter 8

"I'm sorry for snapping at you like that. You have to understand that the Sirius Flynn I knew was a bully. He made school a living hell for me and to hear my daughter call him Dad just didn't sit too well with me. He was cruel and vindictive, always showing off his wealth and status. So it's just a little hard to believe that a person like that has changed. I hope you understand me," I spoke in quite tones, hoping to make Lyra understand my point.

Lyra looked at for a long time before she smirked. I flinched at that expression, she looked too much like Flynn when she did that and he wasn't even related to her!

"I think you're forgetting that I'm twenty and not four anymore. Did you honestly think that I wouldn't understand what you're trying to do? No matter what you say or do, I'm never gonna trust you over my Dad. I hope you understand my point."

Ughh, how much of a influence did Flynn have over her?! She was even speaking like him! He has totally corrupted my child!

Trying a different tactic I began, "Lyra, listen to me. I'll always have a connection with you that Flynn can't ever have. You have my blood running in your veins and I was there when you were born, not him! I heard your first words, saw your first steps, celebrated your every first! Not Sirius Flynn! Doesn't that mean anything to you?"

"Umm, according to Aunt Kathy, she heard my first word and if she was right then you were away on a business trip when I took my first steps. And about dad missing my firsts, how does that even matter? He might have missed my first steps but he has held my hand for every step I take towards something new. He might have missed my first word but he was cheering the loudest when I gave my graduation speech. He might have missed my first 5 birthdays but he has dutifully taken holidays on all my birthdays- that he was in my life for- so that he could spend all day with me! And about blood, I might have your blood but Sirius Flynn has a connection with me that you could never have! He has my entire childhood! He's the man I compare all my boyfriends to, he's been my protector for as long as I remember and has never let me feel like I'm not his! So please don't say that missing my firsts makes my Dad any less of father than he is!"

Lyra looked red in the face after her rant! Stunned to silence I didn't know how to respond to that. Of course she's right. Flynn was there for every big milestone and even when I was supposedly there I had missed every first! I can't believe how selfish I am being and how selfish I actually was back then! I was here to make amends, not belittle someone, even if that person is Flynn.

I never felt more alone in all my life.