Chapter 23

I'd be lying if I said my legs weren't shaking as I walked over to my seat. I whispered a 'thank you' to Derek as he pushed my chair in for me while his father has yet to acknowledge our presence.

"Father ." Derek said, unbuttoning his coat as his father looked up at us almost as if he DIDN'T know we had arrived.

"Son." he said picking his cup of coffee up as he didn't say a word to me. I looked over at Derek as he mouthed a 'sorry'. It was okay , he couldn't help that his father was a total jerk.

"Morning king James." I said , being the bigger person .

"Ah , it speaks." He said trying to lure me into another trap , but I knew better now.  So I didn't answer him. Instead , I grabbed a croissant from the table and started applying butter to it.

"I see you haven't taught her the rules yet Derek." He said making Derek look over at me and then back at his father.

"It's not important anymore. " he replied going back to his breakfast.

"I can see that. She can't even remember rule number 1 !? Stupid girl ." He said making Derek clench his fist -making his knuckles turn white- as I placed my hand over his as in to say it's okay as he blew out a breath.

"She is actually quite clever. " he said calm as his father scoffed.

"Oh come on Derek , she can't be that intelligent . I mean look at her , she was even DUMB enough to have another man's child !" He said hitting a nerve as Derek's bowl went flying .

"You will NOT speak about my wife like that! " Derek said making his father look almost amused by the situation.

"Oh come on son , we both know she's nothing but a carrier." The words barely left the taste of his lips when Derek held his father against the nearest wall.

"You shall have respect for my wife. " He roared as I stepped in between them , taking Derek's hand away from his father's shirt.

"Don't stoop to his level Derek." I said pleading pulling him back.

"Yeah , listen to your pet ." He spat out and that was enough to send Derek over the edge and this time , there was nothing I could do to hold him back.

"I've looked up to ! For years ! I've done everything in my power to make you proud of me ! And what did that get me ? Nothing. Nothing but my soul being sucked out by you ! You turned me into the monster I am ! Made me forget everything mom told me about the good in me ! And for what ? So you could have another puppet. Just . Like. You. " Derek said releasing his father as he stepped out of the room while I ran behind him.

I watched as he took a seat next to the pond. My seat. As he buried his head in his hands.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that Elena." He said while I took a seat next to him , taking his hand in mine.

"It's okay. I just wish I could've done something to help..."

"Being here is enough for me. " He said lifting his head and looking at me. " You know , it's thanks to you that I found myself again."

"How come ?"

"You reminded me of the good inside of me. The good my mother always thought I had ..."

"I-uh ,"

"You don't have to say anything Elena." He said laughing. "I'm not looking for a reply . I just thought you needed to know that I appreciate you more than you'll ever know. " He said pulling me closer to his side as I didn't say anything - as he had preferred me not to - while I laid my head on his shoulder.  This might've been the closest we've ever been...

"I like this side of you Derek." I whispered while he released my hold and looked at me.

"What?" He said surprised barely audible.

"I said , I like this side of you. The caring, loving , good side of you that doesn't do things because it's what people expect you to do. I like the you that has a good heart towards everything and everyone. " I said and as I did , I could've sworn I saw a tear at the brink of his eye. But it was gone even before I could ask why.

"Thank you Elena. That... means a lot coming from you." He said kissing the top of my head as we continued to watch the ducks swirl around the pond. Not a word needed to be said , we didn't even have to do anything . But this , was enough reason for me to stay.

****
"So what happened to Samaul anyway ? Not that I care but , you know." I said -my arms linked with his - as we walked up the stairs together.

"Would you really like to know ?" He said glancing down at me.

"I mean ... I know it must've been bad but , I'm just scared I might've caused it." I said stopping while looking up at him. He watched me with soft eyes as he placed his left hand on my cheek , brushing his thumb softly across it while my eyes closed on their own account.

"Trust me , whatever happened to him , he had it coming. And it had nothing to do with you. I promise." He said placing a kiss to my forehead while we furthered our walk. 

As we rounded the corner past the music room I stopped and took a seat at the bench facing the sunset.

"You okay?"

"Yeah , I'm fine." I said with a smile, tapping the empty spot next to me while Derek took a seat . I watched the sky dance with colours of orange and red while he held me in his arms , tight againts his chest. 

"Derek?"

"Mhm ?" He said placing his chin above my head while we took the beautiful scenery in.

"Would you - would you ever love this child ?" I said making him turn me around in his arms.

"What are you talking about ?" He said in a softer tone than I expected.

"I mean , if we one day have children of our own , would you still treat this one the same ?" It was a very important question I needed the answer to if we were to go forward with our relationship. I know he said he would but , did he really mean it ?

I watched his eyes bouncing between mine while he thought as my heart couldn't help but race at whatever answer might come out of his mouth. When I've thought I'd given up all hope of receiving an answer from him - and stood up - he pulled me back by my arm and flush against his chest before kissing me. I remembered our first and last kiss , the one at the 'wedding' that haunted my nightmares for as long as I've been here. That's until now.

His lips were soft and gentler this time, almost dancing with mine as he deepened it with so much love anyone has ever seen from him. This was more than enough confirmation that I needed to know that he loved me. That he was all in.

When he pulled back he displayed the biggest smile as I couldn't help  but give one in return .

"See , I told you you'd learn to love it." He said with a cocky grin as I playfully shoved him getting a laugh out of him in return. "Elena , I told you and I'm going to tell you again , it doesn't matter what this baby's bloodline is -" he said placing his hand over my belly "- this baby is yours. And it's ours. And I will treat it with the same love and respect as our other future children. This is our city now. And our new rules. We've got this. " He said while I cuddled into his side giving him a hug while a few tears fell.

He might've started out as the most feared man in the world - next to his father - but atleast this time around he's got someone who cares about him at his side to steer him into the right direction. And maybe , just maybe , I can learn to love him after all...

I'm ending it here my lovelies ! You wouldn't believe the writers block I have ! This is the only story I have inspiration and ideas to continue writing so far ! Hench why I'm already at chapter 23 while you all just read chapter 8 this week. It's crazy ! I know ! But anyhoo ! Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time, keep howling my wolves ❤🐺