i'll never let you go again

english is NOT my first language. grammatical errors and typos are expected.

disclaimer: lowercase intended, not proofread, ooc, lowkey cringe idk

i do NOT own detective conan / case closed.

she exited the car and got her luggage out with the help of the driver. as she paid him and she him drive away, she started to stare intensely at the streets, houses, trees, bushes and everything else. quite literally nothing has changed here. nothing at all. after a five year absence. shiho had a soft smile forming itself on her face, remembering all the amazing memories she had experienced in beika, especially in the house that was only a few feet away from her.

the strawberry blonde made her way to the door and rang the bell, waiting for the professor she had missed so dearly to open the door for her, but instead it was him. the literal reason she left japan. shiho had aimlessly tried convincing herself that he wasn't the reason for her disappearance but who was she kidding. she really left because of him; she couldn't handle having to see his annoying smirk. but there he was, the raven haired, tall man with ocean blue eyes. he isn't that 19 year old selfish boy she had left.

shiho's smile slowly faded away while shinichi was just staring at her. to say that both of them were shocked would be an understatement. they looked deeply into each other's eyes. shiho was caught off guard as shinichi all of a sudden hugged her. that was certainly out of character for him.

"kudo...what are you doing?", she questioned, trying to keep her monotonous voice and her poker face.

"shut up and don't ruin the moment, haibara.", the detective replied slightly red and let go of her slowly, "do you need help with the bags?"

shiho just nodded and went inside the house. she got upstairs to the room she used to stay in and smiled. all her old things that she left at the professor's were still there. her old clothes, notes, magazines, furniture. there were even letters and pictures of the detective boys that they had given him in the hopes that he would send them to ai. she smiled.

after shiho placed her stuff inside the room, she grabbed clean clothes and went to take a shower, hoping that the detective would be gone by then. but (un)fortunately he was in the kitchen making dinner for both of them.

"where's the professor?", shiho asked.

"he's at a science convention.", shinichi replied, not turning around.

"and what are you doing here?", she questioned with an eyebrow furrowed.

"ever since ran and i broke up, i've been staying at the professor's a few times a week. he felt quite lonely after you left, you know? and i could also use the company.", the detective answered coldly, still not facing shiho.

the woman on the other hand was surprised. of course, she didn't let him see it, but how could shinichi and ran break up? what happened to them?

"you and mouri broke up?", she asked. it was normal for her to feel out of place right now. after all, she left japan five years ago and didn't keep in contact with anyone. she didn't want them or herself to be stuck on each other. haibara ai should stay out of beika and so should miyano shiho. yet her desire to see her adoptive father, and the place she had lived the best but also the scariest moments at grew bigger. after she got a job opportunity in japan, she decided to go there again. she reached out to the professor and he was ecstatic to hear from her and even offered that she stay at his place again. just like old times. though, he had not mentioned the fact that he wouldn't be the one greeting her but shinichi.

"yes, we broke up. three years ago actually.", shinichi snapped her out of her thoughts, "she's now married! her husband is a great guy. you know what, hai- miyano? i should have known that ran and i wouldn't work after the whole conan thing."

he turned to shiho, the first thing she noticed were his eyes. the pain they carried was insane. she had never seen him like this, and she felt guilty for leaving him when he needed her most. that man in front of her was not the arrogant detective she knew.

"i'm sorry, kudo. if it wasn't wasn't for the poison i made, you wouldn't have left her for so long and certainly you wouldn't have had to lie about the two years we spent in hiding.", the scientist apologized, turning away from his gaze.

shinichi sat beside her on the kitchen table and held her hands in his. the strawberry blonde turned her eyes to face him and looked at his soft smile.

"don't be too harsh on yourself, miyano. i should actually thank you for shrinking me.", he remarked.

shiho gave him a confused look and he just let out a small chuckle. he was never good at reading her, but right now, it was obvious that she was surprised by his previous remark.

"being edogawa conan taught me so many things. i met so many great people. i was able to look at things with a totally different perspective and ironically enough i think i matured a lot when i was conan. and most importantly, i met you. think about it, miyano. if i hadn't taken aptx-4869, we wouldn't have met. you wouldn't have gotten out of the organization and we wouldn't have been best friends and partners."

shiho stared at him in awe. why did she come back again? now she's falling for him all over again. if she had even moved on in the first place.

"miyano, i think it's my turn to ask you; why did you leave?", he inquired, still looking into her eyes

the woman looked away again, not facing the detective, "i don't want to talk about it, kudo."

"shiho, you can't just ignore me like that! especially not when i'm literally standing right in front of you.", the raven-haired man half shouted.

"kudo...", she said in an almost condescending manner upon realizing the use of her first name.

"stop calling me that! we've been through a half dozen near death experiences to still call each other by last names.", he said as he rolled his eyes, and not in a playful manner at all.

"could you stop raising your voice at me? i didn't come back to get a lecture from you.", shiho responded angrily, "you don't even know what i've been through!"

"and do you think you know what i've been through? a failed relationship with the girl i thought i was in love with for my entire life and the disappearance of the only person that really understood me!"

shiho felt herself shiver upon hearing this. she was beyond just shocked by every single word he had said.

"i'm sorry, i was so dense.", shinichi said with a defeated look plastered on his face, "when i realized i had feelings for you, you were long gone."

shiho sighed. the man she spent years loving, loved her back. he somehow figured out she had feelings for him, but it was too late for both of them to do anything. to possibly make matters worse, he was in a relationship with his childhood sweetheart.

"you're not in your right mind, kudo.", she said, getting up and making her way upstairs. after this confrontation she was not in the mood to have dinner with that detective.

shinichi ran after her, holding her by her wrist.

"i'm definitely in my right mind. do you know how many scenarios i made about you coming back? do you know many things i want to say? shiho, you left. you left japan, your home, the professor and me. without even so much as an explanation.", he stated with a dead serious tone but if you looked closed enough, you could see him slightly blushing.

"god, kudo please-"

"it's shinichi."

"you really won't let go off my wrist, will you?"'

"i'll never let you go again."