C H A P T E R • 22

GABRIEL
■ • ■ • ■

"Get the hell off of me!" I yelled, trying to stand up again. Devonte and my other close friend, Carter, held me down. "You need to go after her now! She's going on a fucking suicide mission!"

I've been awake for not even twelve hours and when I woke up, I was alone. I don't even know how long I've been asleep but I at least expected Vanessa to be there when I woke up, cussing me out for saving her that I would only laugh at, her giving me a kiss.

I was scared out of my fucking mind for her and whatever dumb plan she had going on. I wanted to throw something.

"You're going to get her back or help me God, I'll get really fucking angry," I growled, grabbing Carter by the collar of his shirt and yanking him to my height. "You've been working with computers almost your entire life and you're telling me you can't track down anything? Where the fuck is Vanessa?"

"I've got Lorenzo and her father going after her, Gabriel," he muttered, obviously trying to calm me down. "I'm not going to let anything happen to her, alright? I promise you."

I shook my head and closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath. "She's going after her, that's all I know for a fact," I told him, keeping my eyes closed. "It's what he wants her to do. You need to fucking get her ass back in this hospital before she gets closer to him and he figures out that she's going to him because I'm not going to have her life taken because she was stupid enough to think she can do this alone."

Devonte nodded his head this time. "I don't blame her for leaving, though. You've been unconscious for four weeks now."

I froze, pushing my eyebrows together. An entire month?

"What?"

"We've been trying to find her for three weeks now," Devonte spoke up. "She just vanished."

I stared at them in disbelief. "You lost her? A human being? My human being?" I could feel my body beginning to shake. "Find her."

Carter rolled his eyes. "Why the hell so women find this demanding shit so hot? I hate it."

"Shut your ass up, dumb-ass," Devonte said with a snort, shoving him out of the room. Just as I was getting ready to scream, Vanessa burst in with Carter and Devonte staring at each other with confused stares.

"You're awake," she whispered, her eyes welling up immediately. "You're finally awake."

I wanted to be angry at her; I wanted to be fucking pissed out of my mind. But when I saw the wide smile grow over her flushed face through her tears, I couldn't remember why exactly I would even mad to start with.

Without hesitation, she rushed towards me, wrapping her arms around my neck while burying her head in it, sniffling.

"I-I've been terrified out of my mind that you would never wake up," she whispered as I wrapped my arms around her body delicately, pulling her on my lap despite the pain that went through my body. "Y-you aren't ever allowed to do that, you fucking ass-weed. Never again."

I chuckled at her horrible attempt of an insult, kissing her neck. "I'll try not to."

I could hear the hospital door close and I sighed with relief, moving my hand up to her hair and running a hand through it.