Chapter 1- What Keeps Us Together

As Gothel walked the steps to her home, carrying her new bundle of joy, she decided to finally contemplate the town around her.

Her home was towards the center, it was a quaint area, there was nothing much to see. She had built her home with her own two hands, Quirin had refused to send workers to help her so she made due. It was a nice place nonetheless, it blended well with the other houses, made of stone and wood with ivy growing along its sides. There were some trees around, too, not many, but Quirin claimed it was enough to make livings off of...She thought it was idiotic.

It wasn't that growing fruit was ridiculous to her, she perfectly understood that people had to live somehow. But, call her spiteful, it was the mere fact that it was his suggestion.

Gothel hated him. She had for many years, their pasts were far too different, practically opposites. She was required to hate him, really.

To put it simply, Gothel never thought Quirin would make a good leader, even before he became one. His actual methods of leadership certainly weren't changing her mind either.

She switched the child to her left arm. She had refused to leave her alone in the many days traveling from the capital to Old Corona. She had to admit she was growing fond of having the girl.

Rapunzel, she had named the baby, was fussy. Always crying about something. And when she wasn't crying, she still wanted to be held. Gothel knew this came from her real mother...Arianna always was clingy...

Gothel sighed sadly, she would never admit to the truth. There was no other truth, was there? nothing but a caring mother living in a small village on the outskirts of the sun kingdom. That's what people would see.

All except him.

Gothel shook her head, she'd gotten stuck in her own thoughts, yet again, and the child was growing tireless in her arms. She looked down at Rapunzel, smiling softly and caressing her long hair with her free hand.

"Hush, now, Flower," She shushed the baby, entering her home and closing the door softly behind herself.

That was why Gothel didn't think she should live here, in this town, so close to the capital. She had told Gothel that this was the best option. And then she was gone. Why? Why did they need to be here?

Gothel had so many questions about everything. But all could be explained at a later point.

She settled into a rocking chair in the corner of the sitting room, rocking softly until Rapunzel fell asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Years Later

Rapunzel was growing fast, always running around, so hyperactive. She also talked off the ears of anyone who would listen. She had been doing that since she learned to speak. Gothel was...Proud. She loved her sunflower, her child. Everything was going wonderfully.

Twice a day; once in the morning and once at nightfall, they went over the incantation. Gothel needed to stay young and healthy, after all. How else would she take care of the sundrop?

"Come, my flower," Gothel had grown much softer with her over the years. She supposed she started out rather harsh, saying "Come, now." Though she prided herself on growing into the mother role quickly.

Rapunzel approached quickly, handing her mother a small hairbrush, "Mother, why do we need to do the song?" She may be smart for her age, but Rapunzel was far from a genius in Gothel's opinion. She asked for bedtime stories every night, which annoyed Gothel to an extent, but also warmed her heart. She still wanted to be carried even though she could walk perfectly fine. She just didn't understand much yet. But that could all come later.

"It's what keeps us together, flower. What keeps us safe and sound," Gothel had gotten better at little...white lies. Rapunzel understood the need to stay safe, at least. She knew to stay in town, at home, where no one could get to her. Gothel had tried, long ago, to convince her not to trust the town, especially not Quirin's family. But Rapunzel had taken a liking to his wife, Ulla, regardless. Gothel supposed that was better than Quirin, so long as Ulla kept Rapunzel out of her experiments.

"Do you understand, Rapunzel?" She asked as the child sat down on a small stool in front of the rocking chair her mother was sat in.

"Yes, mother," Rapunzel smiled up at her mother. She loved her. Very much. Her mother was one of the only people, aside from Ulla, who really took care of her.

Her big green eyes shone with admiration, love. Gothel smiled softly back.

And she began to sing.

Flower gleam and glow...

Rapunzel had not yet learned to properly sing the incantation. Gothel would make sure she knew it soon, though. Just in case.

Let your power shine...

Rapunzel loved the song. She loved listening to her mother sing. It made her feel warm and safe.

Make the clock reverse...

Gothel....felt something. Something coming. In the future. Though, whether near or far, she didn't know.

Bring back what once was mine...

Rapunzel knew she'd always be safe with her mother.

What once was mine...

As the golden glow of Rapunzel's hair died out, Gothel decided; She would not let anyone take her flower away from her, even when her time came. Feeling new youth flood her body in waves of warmth, Gothel knew she would never regret.

AN

 I've gotten much better, I think!