Chapter 2- They Were Stars

The four-year-old Rapunzel had not grown any less hyper over the years. She was so easily excitable, Gothel had realized quickly. She always needed something to do with her hands, or else she would run off or quickly lose focus in whatever was currently happening.

Gothel had brought her paints on her fourth birthday, figuring maybe she would be able to express her hyperactivity through art. Gothel had known someone, a long time ago, who was the same.

She was very patient with Rapunzel, but she didn't exactly enjoy watching the child run by her for the fourteenth time that hour.

"Rapunzel, flower, will you calm down?" The girl looked up at the sound of her mother's voice, seeing the woman sitting on her rocking chair silently analyzing an old scrap of paper.

"Yes, Mother. Sorry, Mother." She was out of paint, but her mother looked frustrated. She decided she could find something else to do...Rapunzel visibly lit up, flopping on the floor in front of her mother.

Rapunzel knew her mother always wanted her to be supervised, as she was away often running one errand or another.

She understood.

"Mother?" Gothel sighed before responding.

"Yes, Dear?" She set the paper down on her lap, giving Rapunzel her full attention.

"May I go out, please?.... I'll head straight to Ulla's! I won't stop anywhere until I have someone with me!" Rapunzel kneeled higher while giving her mother her best impression of what Ulla said were 'puppy eyes'.

"Go ahead. Mother needs some rest, anyway." Gothel gave Rapunzel a quick pat on the head, before gesturing to the door. Rapunzel looked back after she had made it to the door and Gothel gave her a reassuring smile.

She waited until the door had fully shut before picking the paper back up.

Gothel smiled; she had finally learned something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One Day Ago

Gothel knocked loudly on the door of the village head's home, tapping her foot impatiently.

Quirin had sent for her only an hour prior, asking her to meet him regarding 'important matters'.

He was always a rather cryptic man, even when Gothel knew just as much as he did.

The door opened quickly, cutting off Gothel's line of thought. Quirin stood at the entrance, looking behind himself before stepping to the side and ushering Her inside.

"Gothel, I'm glad you could make it. I know how...busy, you are." He shut the door.

She clasped her hands behind her back, head held high. "I hope this is important." It had to be.

Feeling Quirin's eyes on her back, Gothel turned to glance down one of the halls in the old castle.

"Where is your wife?" She turned back, leveling him with a cold glare.

He lowered his head to match her glare, "She's in her lab," he said, turning past the woman to walk down the same hall. "Her research partner came by."

Gothel followed closely behind. She hummed in response, "Have they made any progress?"

Quirin turned back to her, still walking. When he turned back forward, he sighed, "not that I know of."

"Of course."

Quirin turned to enter the last room in the hall. Gothel closed the door behind themselves when she entered and watched the man dig for something under the bed in the corner.