Chapter 1 - In Defense of Angel Island

It was a beautiful day at Angel Island, the bright sunny sky with a temperature of around 75 degrees made it an ideal day for vacationing, but there was no time for relaxation as the island was under attack by an army of Eggman's Badniks. The doctor had grown desperate, some would argue reckless, to finally steal the Chaos Emeralds. He had suffered countless defeats from Sonic and his friends time and time again, which had started to take a toll on his sanity. He wasn't ready to lose yet again, so he had sent whatever he had left in his arsenal as a bit of a last resort.

Knuckles was guarding the Altar all day, as he has for almost his entire life. When the Master Emerald sent him a distress signal, warning him of an incoming threat from Eggman, he had more than enough time to contact Sonic about the attack. Tails fired up the X Tornado and Sonic as well as Knuckles hopped on board and they set coarse for Angel Island. Team Chaotix also joined Sonic in the fight, as well as a few soldiers from the Alliance, who were led by Amy Rose. They all headed into battle, ready to achieve victory.

The X Tornado flew through the crisp, morning air as Sonic and Knuckles were relaxing on the hood, enjoying the summer breeze and prepping themselves for battle. The Badniks had stormed the Island by the time Amy's ship had touched down, who were soon joined by Team Chaotix's ship. Tails was fixing up the X Tornado before Knuckles had given his squad the warning the Master Emerald sent him, so they were running a tad bit late. Sonic and Knuckles went down into the cockpit to speak with Tails.

"How much longer until we reach the island?" asked Knuckles who was growing impatient.

"We should touch down within a couple minutes," Tails responded.

Knuckles snapped back with a gruff tone of voice, "Well we should've gotten there by now! The island is under attack!"

A loud thud was heard just moments later, as the three looked up in confusion and curiosity.

"Wonder what that could've been,"  said Sonic who was heading out of the cockpit to investigate the disturbance. Knuckles soon followed. Sonic and Knuckles went back up to the hull of the ship but couldn't find anyone.

"Huh, maybe we were just hearing thi--" before Sonic could finish his sentence, Emerl grabbed Sonic from behind by the legs, and dragged him down to the left wing of the ship. Sonic was able to grab onto the wing to prevent himself from falling several feet into the solid ground beneath him, he was holding on for dear life.

"Sonic!" Knuckles ran to Sonic's aid, but was then grabbed by Metal Sonic from behind and thrown backwards. Knuckles grunted gruffly and got right back up.

"Knuckles the Echidna. Killing you will be no chore," sneered Metal Sonic who struck a pretentious pose which tempted Knuckles to retaliate.

"We'll just have to see about that!" Knuckles then charged Metal Sonic as the two began to spar with each other. Meanwhile, Sonic kicked Emerl directly in the face, which sent him flying off the side of the plane. Sonic then ran up to Metal Sonic and kicked him in the back of the head.

"Thanks for the assist," said Knuckles. Sonic gave an acknowledging thumbs up. Metal Sonic quickly got back up on his feet and turned to the two Mobians who were ready to take him on.

"Why don't you just give up? This fight is now two against one and you don't stand a chance in the slightest," said Sonic in an overly confident manner.

"Not quite," responded Metal Sonic as Emerl flew back up to the ship and joined Metal Sonic. All four characters got into their fighting stances.

"Who ya got?" Sonic asked Knuckles.

"I got your double." Knuckles responded.

"Poor choice to face me, Knuckles. This fight will be your last." said Metal Sonic as he readied himself for whatever Knuckles was about to dish out.